🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Issue?
Page options
mirarts
Community Member

Client Issue?

So I started a contract with a client a while ago (I won't share their name... yet) and I've gone above and beyond to meet what they requested. Their budget was very high but told me they were hiring several people so needed a lower price, I said that was fine. I worked with them and completed the design they wanted in under a week (and I also offered a secondary design as they liked two of my wips and a week is longer than I usually take). They said great, they love it! So, cool, I send request for payment and then... "Yeah... I don't like it anymore. Could you do another one?" 

I told them I couldn't but was willing to do revisions to the current designs or that, once they paid me for the current designs, I could start a new contract at half price. I hate the idea of having someone pay for something they can't use but also can't afford to do countless free designs, you know?

And now, nothing. They won't answer. The "active" marker turns green occasionally but nothing. They've hired several other people around the same time as me and only one has been paid (and left a bad review, and the freelancer's account is now gone??) I am willing to accommodate for them, as I'm used to paying out of pocket to appease customers at my other job, but now I'm stuck. 

So basically what do I do? If I report the client will I still be paid? (I'm waiting on escrow currently.) I don't want to lose too much money from this but also really don't want a negative review.

Summary:

Did everything for a client and now they won't respond, though the account is active. Will reporting = not getting paid?

4 REPLIES 4
jr-translation
Community Member

Miriah S wrote:

So I started a contract with a client a while ago (I won't share their name... yet) and I've gone above and beyond to meet what they requested. Their budget was very high but told me they were hiring several people so needed a lower price, I said that was fine. I worked with them and completed the design they wanted in under a week (and I also offered a secondary design as they liked two of my wips and a week is longer than I usually take). They said great, they love it! So, cool, I send request for payment and then... "Yeah... I don't like it anymore. Could you do another one?" 

I told them I couldn't but was willing to do revisions to the current designs or that, once they paid me for the current designs, I could start a new contract at half price. I hate the idea of having someone pay for something they can't use but also can't afford to do countless free designs, you know?

And now, nothing. They won't answer. The "active" marker turns green occasionally but nothing. They've hired several other people around the same time as me and only one has been paid (and left a bad review, and the freelancer's account is now gone??) I am willing to accommodate for them, as I'm used to paying out of pocket to appease customers at my other job, but now I'm stuck. 

So basically what do I do? If I report the client will I still be paid? (I'm waiting on escrow currently.) I don't want to lose too much money from this but also really don't want a negative review.

Summary:

Did everything for a client and now they won't respond, though the account is active. Will reporting = not getting paid?

You did what you got hired for so the client has to pay. The client can either request a refund which you should decline if you submitted the work officially. The client cannot refuse to pay. I guess you can only loose with this job but at least you can get paid for it. Don't bother messaging the client. He will reply when he feels the need.

data_divas
Community Member

Miriah S wrote:

Summary:

Was the milestone funded?  If not, it's likely you won't be paid at all. 

It was funded, I just have to wait it out I guess.

Miriah S wrote:

It was funded, I just have to wait it out I guess.

Yeah, you do. There's nothing to report, because the process allows the client 14 days to approve, request revisions, or just let the milestone auto-approve when time runs out.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members