🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Job Posting Feedback
Page options
sarmed2001
Community Member

Client Job Posting Feedback

Hi fellow members,

So, after several days of monitoring I have came to the conclusion to share my feedback with our community members. I have seen lots of clients posting multiple jobs at once and their hire rate is somewhere around 40%-60%. Howcome upwork let them post multiple jobs at once without hiring anyone? Or at least make it more complicated for the clients if they don't hire anyone within the limited time as we purchase connects so there should be a rule for the clients aswell.

Hope it does make sense to the Upwork staff and make the necessary changes. Looking forward to hear any response from the team.

Regards,
Sarmed A
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

There are just too many jobs posted every minute. Upwork relies on us freelancers to flag posts if they violate the terms of service, seem sketchy, etc. That is what I recommend you do. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
robin_hyman
Community Member

There are just too many jobs posted every minute. Upwork relies on us freelancers to flag posts if they violate the terms of service, seem sketchy, etc. That is what I recommend you do. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sarmed, 

I understand how this can be frustrating for you as a freelancer. Some clients unfortunately will post jobs, never hire, and never close their jobs. We know this is frustrating and we will continue to reach out to clients to encourage them to hire or remove their job. We are also not privy to a client's hiring activity, and how they hire. Some clients may take some time reviewing proposals, others may have put their projects on hold. Regardless of the case, we do, of course, also recommend you closely review the client’s details, such as past hire rate, to help you decide whether to use Connects to submit a proposal for a project.

I'd also like to point out that job posts automatically expire after 30 days of inactivity on that job. If the job is canceled without hire, either by the client or by the Upwork team, Connects are refunded back to your account.

If you suspect that the job post/s violates the Terms of Service, you can flag the job post as inappropriate so that the team can review it further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Forgive me for writing so late.  I would like to make a few suggestions.  1.  The posting would require a target start date.  From experience outside of Upwork, it is standard procedure for Recruiters to post positions they hear may be being posted.  They archive the resumes and when the job is posted by the employer they respond.  With connects,  fishing as it was once called can cost a potential worker $. On Upwork money is indeed a consideration in these cases but also thinking a position is available and waiting for a response or  for the posting to expire can be a long process. A target start date would help the applicant to have some idea on when the position is to be filled. It may also give persons pause before positing positions they do not have an intention of filling.   2. There is a posting now which has the same format as e.g., DICE postings.  Additionally,  the payment is not verified and yet Upwork has it marked as interesting.  The questions that are being asked for the proposal to be submitted do not all apply to the Software experience being requested.   I cannot be sure but I believe it is a recruiter and not a hiring manager. Which returns  us to the original mention of this post, fishing.  Perhaps Upwork could create a committee of Upwork employees and Site Users and these situations could be discussed and potential solutions discussed.  I have flagged postings in the past and they remained on the site until expiration.   Thank You for your time.     ^Chris

a_lipsey
Community Member

Sarmed A wrote:
Hi fellow members,

So, after several days of monitoring I have came to the conclusion to share my feedback with our community members. I have seen lots of clients posting multiple jobs at once and their hire rate is somewhere around 40%-60%. Howcome upwork let them post multiple jobs at once without hiring anyone? Or at least make it more complicated for the clients if they don't hire anyone within the limited time as we purchase connects so there should be a rule for the clients aswell.

Hope it does make sense to the Upwork staff and make the necessary changes. Looking forward to hear any response from the team.

Regards,
Sarmed A

40-60% hire rate is quite good. Clients hire on their timeline, not yours. Connects are a business expense, so work it into your rate. Focus on improving your profile and writing stellar proposals. That will make clients want to hire you instead of ignore you. 

It's a general issue, not just for me. It should be mandatory for the clients to either hire someone or close the job. Here's a screenshot of clients hire percantage. 

Sarmed A wrote:

It's a general issue, not just for me. It should be mandatory for the clients to either hire someone or close the job. Here's a screenshot of clients hire percantage. 

Why should it be mandatory? It still doesn't mean you'd get hired. Maybe they are leaving it open as long as possible because they don't like any of the proposals they are getting? If you go to a shoe store and try on a pair of shoes, are you required to buy the shoes? No. Requiring clients to hire is just silly. 

Amanda L wrote:

Sarmed A wrote:

Why should it be mandatory? It still doesn't mean you'd get hired. Maybe they are leaving it open as long as possible because they don't like any of the proposals they are getting? If you go to a shoe store and try on a pair of shoes, are you required to buy the shoes? No. Requiring clients to hire is just silly. 

As I stated above, it doesn't about "why they don't hire me". It's about everyone. Although, your point makes sense. Thank you for the outcome. 

Sarmed A wrote:

It should be mandatory for the clients to either hire someone or close the job. 

No, of course it should not be. 

Sarmed A wrote:

Here's a screenshot of clients hire percantage. 

You can CLEARLY see the hiring percentage. If you don't like it, don't apply. Simples.

Petra R wrote:

Sarmed A wrote:

It should be mandatory for the clients to either hire someone or close the job. 

No, of course it should not be. 

Sarmed A wrote:

Here's a screenshot of clients hire percantage. 

You can CLEARLY see the hiring percentage. If you don't like it, don't apply. Simples.

I'd still suggest that there should be amendments on job posting rule. As you can read my previous posts, I've already said it's about everyone. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members