🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Just Wants Advice And Not to Hire Me.
Page options
cszeman
Community Member

Client Just Wants Advice And Not to Hire Me.

Hello,

I made this mistake on a competitor's website and I told an Entrepreneur Instructor about this.

What I was doing was giving all the free advice and the person didn't want to hire me. My Instructor said that I can give out some advice, but the rest, they would have to hire me for.

However, I do feel that it's happening again. I got a client who is right now asking a lot of questions. This person is asking a lot of beginning questions about starting a podcast. I did mention that if they want more advice, they would have to hire me. How do I say this in a more friendly term so that they finally get the message to just hire me? Is this even allowed on Upwork?

I already know what to do in case they don't want to hire me and just ask for free advice.

4 REPLIES 4
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

"I see what you need and will be happy to assist under a contract" 😉

If there's no contract then you don't need to worry about upsetting them because they cannot leave negative feedback. That, and if they're going to balk at the idea of actually paying you for your time then you've not lost out on anything anyway. 

Just be polite and professional, but firm.

Something like: 

"Hi xxx.

I'm more than happy to help where I can. But please bear in mind that this is my business so I will need to insist that you hire me before we go any further.

I look forward to working more with you if you decide to go ahead and hire me.

Kind Regards."

It is a very reasonable request so they should have no problem with it. If they don't agree, then you should part ways and spend your time elsewhere. 

jr-translation
Community Member

Christina S wrote:

Hello,

I made this mistake on a competitor's website and I told an Entrepreneur Instructor about this.

What I was doing was giving all the free advice and the person didn't want to hire me. My Instructor said that I can give out some advice, but the rest, they would have to hire me for.

However, I do feel that it's happening again. I got a client who is right now asking a lot of questions. This person is asking a lot of beginning questions about starting a podcast. I did mention that if they want more advice, they would have to hire me. How do I say this in a more friendly term so that they finally get the message to just hire me? Is this even allowed on Upwork?

I already know what to do in case they don't want to hire me and just ask for free advice.

Inform the client politely that you do not mind answering his questions once he hired you. Until they have hired you, they cannot harm your JSS so do not bother about those that do not have the decency to pay for your time.
Consider the bright side. Everytime a clients returns with questions, you now get 10 connects (limited to 50 within 7 days).

kinector
Community Member

Christina, if the client is asking for freebies like this all the time, why do you want to be hire by him/her in the first place?

Keep your standards, you're probably better off when working for someone else.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members