🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Made Mistake, Canceled, Refunded, Will...
Page options
fb86ae75
Community Member

Client Made Mistake, Canceled, Refunded, Will it Affect My JSS?

Hello. I really need help as I've been working on my JSS for so long and I finally have a 100% and am very stressed about my current situation. I'm 3 weeks away from Top Rated.

I attached an image down below showing some of the details. My client made a job for 1,100 but then wanted less work so she canceled the offer then sent me one for $100. Something happened because when I accepted it, it still took $1,100. So she canceled it and requested for the full $1,100 refund as shown in the picture down below. I'm not sure what went wrong as she is new to Upwork and doesn't understand the platform well. If she had told me she was going to cancel I would have told her not to.

So this job was never finished or worked, she was a past client who loved my work, I wrote a good review on this and I know she will too.

But I read many times that a ZERO-EARNINGS contract will destroy a JSS, and technically this is a ZERO-EARNINGS contract.  😞 
I have contacted Customer Support and am waiting to hear back. In that photo it shows no actual money was every received by me, it was just in Escrow. Will this kill my Job Score? I have read many times where this same situation dropped people from 100% to 82% because a zero dollar contract ending and a refund are the worst things to JSS next to a negative review.
Feeling a bit stressed and sad.

Thanks in advance.

**Edited for community guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Stop panicking.

Get the client to pay a $ 5 bonus on the closed contract as a bonus and just pay you $ 5 less on the main contract. The contract stops being a "nothing paid" contract and the problem is solved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Stop panicking.

Get the client to pay a $ 5 bonus on the closed contract as a bonus and just pay you $ 5 less on the main contract. The contract stops being a "nothing paid" contract and the problem is solved.

fb86ae75
Community Member

Contract is already closed. Can she still add the bonus?
petra_r
Community Member

Skyler W wrote:
Contract is already closed. Can she still add the bonus?

Yes, she totally can 🙂

fb86ae75
Community Member

Okay, thank you. I hope that works 🙂

Hello, I am probably facing the same situation. My client requested the refund and further decided to cancel it. However, I approved the refund just to close the case. What is more, the client placed another contract (the same job offer, description, etc.) In this case, how should I act? Should I ask to close the first contact with refund on it and just focused on the second one? Another issue is that I spend more than 20 hours on this work during the first contract and not sure how they can be paid via the new contract.

Hi Andrii,

The effect of the contract on your JSS will depend on the nature of the feedback left on it. If a contract ends without earnings but has good or no feedback then it is excluded from the JSS calculation. If anything needs to be paid on this new contract that is not included on a milestone or new work for you to log hours, the client can send you a bonus payment.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths