🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Not Completing The Contract
Page options
ninja360
Community Member

Client Not Completing The Contract

I was working with a client and I completed his work but after more than 2 weeks he is not completing the project. So my questions is that should I end the contract or wait for him. I already asked him multiple times. Please suggest me solutions.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

Hussain, don't send more messages about closing the contract. Don't pester your client. They might get angry.

By the rules of Upwork, the client has 14 days to review your results. Are you past that?

There is no negative side on letting the contract stay on another couple of weeks. Be on your client's side and help them as you can. Sometimes it means giving more time. Simply.

But eventually, it's up to you to decide when it is "too long". It depends on the client and the project in question. And your own policy.

I usually give about two months before I close the project from my side. In that case, I hand over all results and leave a polite note that I'm more than happy to continue with them under a new contract but it looks like the current project got canceled. Make an excuse about how the system works, so they won't blame you personally.

This way it is most likely that if your client responds to your project closing, he might leave a positive review, since you're a collaborative guy and only wishing the best for your client.

That's your official side of the story.

This being said, I have to also mention that some people are just disaster guys. They might not have a clue about their own deadlines. They might not care about anyone else. They might not be here looking for the best talent, just someone else doing something for them is good enough, as long as its not themselves.

I have no idea what your case is. Hope this helps. 👍

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi M Hussain,

If there is no more work to be done on the project, you can consider asking your client to close the contract or go ahead and close it yourself. Please note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

Hussain, don't send more messages about closing the contract. Don't pester your client. They might get angry.

By the rules of Upwork, the client has 14 days to review your results. Are you past that?

There is no negative side on letting the contract stay on another couple of weeks. Be on your client's side and help them as you can. Sometimes it means giving more time. Simply.

But eventually, it's up to you to decide when it is "too long". It depends on the client and the project in question. And your own policy.

I usually give about two months before I close the project from my side. In that case, I hand over all results and leave a polite note that I'm more than happy to continue with them under a new contract but it looks like the current project got canceled. Make an excuse about how the system works, so they won't blame you personally.

This way it is most likely that if your client responds to your project closing, he might leave a positive review, since you're a collaborative guy and only wishing the best for your client.

That's your official side of the story.

This being said, I have to also mention that some people are just disaster guys. They might not have a clue about their own deadlines. They might not care about anyone else. They might not be here looking for the best talent, just someone else doing something for them is good enough, as long as its not themselves.

I have no idea what your case is. Hope this helps. 👍

Will i get paid when I end the contract after submitting my work and wait time of 14 days is over. The client is not ending the contract even after a soft 1 or 2 reminders.

Hi Nighat,

You're referring to fixed price contracts, correct? If yes, you will need to submit the work on the milestone created for you. After 14 days the funds will be transferred to your account if no actions are taken on the milestone. Keep in mind that if you resubmit the work again you will reset the 14 days period. To learn more details about fixed price protection, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes i am talking about fixed price contract. Thanks alot 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths