cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Not Responding

Sylas A Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
1 of 9

So I have a promotion type project opened with my client for $2,502 over the course of 6 months. I got paid for my first month ($417) in March, but recently they stopped responding to my messages. I was supposed to be paid April 1st for my next installment. 

Am I out of luck in recieving my money? Is there anything Upwork provides for recovery? 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

If it's a fixed rate job, you should not submit any work until milestones are funded. Was the April milestone funded? If so, you will be paid for that work once you upload the file(s) and request release of the milestone. Your client has 14 days to review the work.

If the milestone wasn't funded, and you submitted work anyway, you're out of luck. Never submit any work unless milestones are funded, as you are only covered for milestones that are funded.

Sylas A Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
3 of 9

I haven't uploaded anything. This type of job is me promoting an artist via social media pages to get his views and traffic up. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 9

It doesn't matter what the job is. If it's fixed rate, (is it?) you're paid via milestones ... if the client has stopped communicating with you and isn't funding new milestones, I would send a message politely asking them to close the job if they're done with your services.

Sami U Member Since: Aug 12, 2019
5 of 9

Hello, I'm facing the same problem I complete contract (fixed rate), my client released one milestone, but the other one is still in escrow and showing as (funded), and the client is not responding from 9 days.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 9

Hi Sami, 

I checked your account and can that you submitted work/requested for payment three days ago. Please know that clients will have 14-days to review the work submitted, and request for any changes within the 14-days. If the client doesn't come back to you within 14-days, the money in escrow will be automatically be paid to your account. 

-Avery
Untitled
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 9

Hi Sylas,

It looks like only first milestone was funded by the client, so you could submit work and request for the payment to be released. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the rest of milestones are funded. We usually recommend freelancers don't work on a milestone unless it's funded so they could be covered by the Fixed-Price Protection.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

re: "Am I out of luck in recieving my money?"

Yes.

re: "Is there anything Upwork provides for recovery?"

No.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

In your case, there is a difference between:

a) the amount of money I feel the client owes me

and

b) the amount of money the client funded in escrow

The way the Upwork fixed-price contract system works, (b) is the amount you have a reasonable expectation of receiving. If (a) is more than that, you only get that at the discretion of the client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS