🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Profile
Page options
cathy-wilson
Community Member

Client Profile

It would be nice if we could have more detailed information about the clients. 

As far as I can see, all we know are their names and location....(if they even provide that at all!).

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pandoraharper
Community Member

I totally agree that clients should have a profile page.  Having said this, we do have access to some client data IF, and only if we are invited to Interview, or get a direct messege from the client.

What we need is this data to be accessible to freelancers who need additional information before they invest their Connects.

This data could include:

• Their Location
  • Their Industry
  • Their Business Type
  • Brief Company Summary
  • A Summary of past hiring on Upwork
  • A Summary of their Upwork Reputation

This might be overkill for certain clients, such as those who are also freelancers or who are not business owners and hire for little jobs and not often at that. Perhaps a different "client page" for those types of clients.

If clients were offered a "choice" to share this information, and choose NO, we would see that on their page and it would possibly be a red flag.

I can't be the only freelancer who prefers to work in only certain industries or for certain types of businesses, but with the current system, it's next to impossible to know unless they state it in their job description. I can't count how many jobs I've ignored simply for this reason.

View solution in original post

62 REPLIES 62
stephenbrightman
Community Member

and if they're true... I agree, I've thoughtit's a glaring discrepancy and inequity. Why should clients be able to remain totally anonymous?

Very good point. I think points like Angel profile or linkedin profiles might help a lot.

@Stephen B.,

Exactly!!  We haven't a clue who they are, yet we as freelancers need to share our every detail. 

It's not fair and I feel that I'm repeating my details for every job I respond to as being blind.

Cathy

I realize that I'm a bit late in replying to this. But I think it is totally not right that clients are not required to adhere to the same standards as freelancers regarding responding.

For example, I've had clients invite me to respond to their job posting. I do, and then never hear from them! Or, it's agreed that I do a test prior to hiring. I send it back in a very timely manner, and no response one way or the other.

Clients should definitely be required to respond to such situations within, for example, 3 days.

@Dana S wrote:

.... For example, I've had clients invite me to respond to their job posting. I do, and then never hear from them! Or, it's agreed that I do a test prior to hiring. I send it back in a very timely manner, and no response one way or the other.....

Dana,

Oh, dear. "A test prior to hiring"? That's free work. It's against ToS for the prospect to ask for it, and against your interests and everyone's for you to volunteer it.

Why should you expect to hear back if, between you and countless other bidders, the "test" provided everything the prospect was looking for?

Best,

Michael

Beating a dead horse at this point, but it wasn't like this on Elance. Clients there had a profile you could visit and view all of their information, work history, and feedback. 

pandoraharper
Community Member

I totally agree that clients should have a profile page.  Having said this, we do have access to some client data IF, and only if we are invited to Interview, or get a direct messege from the client.

What we need is this data to be accessible to freelancers who need additional information before they invest their Connects.

This data could include:

• Their Location
  • Their Industry
  • Their Business Type
  • Brief Company Summary
  • A Summary of past hiring on Upwork
  • A Summary of their Upwork Reputation

This might be overkill for certain clients, such as those who are also freelancers or who are not business owners and hire for little jobs and not often at that. Perhaps a different "client page" for those types of clients.

If clients were offered a "choice" to share this information, and choose NO, we would see that on their page and it would possibly be a red flag.

I can't be the only freelancer who prefers to work in only certain industries or for certain types of businesses, but with the current system, it's next to impossible to know unless they state it in their job description. I can't count how many jobs I've ignored simply for this reason.

Thanks for your input Pandora, I will pass this along to our team.

-Lena

Untitled

As stated in my reply to Pandora H., I'm really hoping that someday, Upwork would consider mandatory client details on the job postings.

Cathy

hh_aa
Community Member

It has been over a year since Lena's  reply.

Kindly advise if there are any updates regarding this.

Please note that I came from Elance background and more information regarding clients were available.

Now in UpWork, only few infromation is available.

Since I come from Elance, and still new to UpWork, can you please advise where can I get information about my previous clients?

Hi Hatem,

A lot of improvements have been made to the Job Search recently. You can learn more here. One of the features the team is considering to add in the future is highlighting posts from clients the freelancer had worked with before. We don't have details about timing yet, but we'll keep the Community updated.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I still can't able to check a clients data and its  already 2017(almost 2 years passed). Please let us have an option to check our clients profile page.

Did you happen to pass it anywhere yet? Because I still don't see a solution for the issue.

Atul,

We've shared feedback users provided on this thread with the team. There are no immediate changes planned in this area though. The available information about the client and their past Work History can be found on their job posts.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi, was this issue ever resolved?  I see that was over 2 years ago but I am currently trying to view my client profile, if such a thing is possible.  Doesn't seem to be a totally unreasonable request in my opinion. 

Hi, was this issue ever resolved? I see that was over 2 years ago but I am currently trying to view my client profile, if such a thing is possible. Doesn't seem to be a totally unreasonable request in my opinion

I completely agree with her. One of my clients asked me to send my ID for an NDA signing to a completely anonymus email address, and all I knew from him was his name. No social media, a link to a business that I suspect it is not his at all, and one very bad review after ending my contract. And now that I write this, I am planning to report him to upwork.

This is not good at all, not having their information.

@Pandora H.

Thank you for writing that out in detail.

Your points are exactly what I was thinking, but didn't take the time to type it all out.

I would like to add that when we apply for a job in the Brick & Mortar world, we have a lot more detail about the company and we also have an opportunity to research if we feel we need to do that. 

I'm really hoping that someday, Upwork can consider mandatory client details on the job postings.

🙂

Cathy

@Cathy W wrote:

@Pandora H.

Thank you for writing that out in detail.

Your points are exactly what I was thinking, but didn't take the time to type it all out.

I would like to add that when we apply for a job in the Brick & Mortar world, we have a lot more detail about the company and we also have an opportunity to research if we feel we need to do that. 

I'm really hoping that someday, Upwork can consider mandatory client details on the job postings.

🙂

Cathy

Good point, Cathy.

Re: something else you said in this thread regarding repeating certain items in all your cover letters (if I read that correctly), I sometimes attach an "about me" document to my job bids. The next time I search for jobs, instead my cover letters are going to include a single page .PDF FAQ about using and working on Upwork, and the sort of questions I always have for clients.

This way, I think it shows I am a professional freelancer who understands the system better then many clients, and also shows I'm not scared of asking hard questions about the client and their business. This will, hopefully, will scare away the scammy non-hire type clients, and influence the good ones to respond more quickly.

That would be better then knowing nothing about the prospective client and waiting literally weeks for them to contact us.

It might not work, but until Upwork shows improvent in this area, I'd try any number of things to improve the time it takes to find a good job with a good legit client.

I can certainly say that all of my clients in the last two years have been frustrated by:

• The length of time it takes to write a properly detailed job post, which can be ardious
  • Getting asked repeatedly in the Upwork Message Center the same darn questions over and over again
  • Spending lots of time interviewing or sending private invites, only to find that some freelancers are not interested in the clients industry or primary business for some reason. Not that eveyrone cares about that, but some of us prefer to work in niche markets.

Meanwhile freelancers are frustrated with:

• Lame private invites that give no clue about a company, and are often sent by scammy client
  • Spending connects on poorly written job posts that would be better with a simple "We are a xxx company, whose primary focus is xxx. Take a look at our awesome feedback, and happy bidding" or someuch.
  • Waiting weeks to hear from a prospective client,only to find it's for a scammy job or some other detail that turns us off the job.

Note: I totally get that a large portion of freelancers here on Upwork are still new or newish, and can't afford to be quite that picky about jobs. But you want to stay away from the scammy ones, right?

Upwork has stated repeatedly (via the Forum Mods) that we should be bidding with care. Help us do this, and more good clients will stick around. Win / Win for everyone.

Hi Cathy,

Exactly I'm looking for client details before applying to any job I make sure that client is right fit to work with because there are clients who don't care to give honest reviews even after working great for them. So having client profile helps but Upwork doesn't allow to see.. Kind of disappointed on this!

I am a paralegal and prefer to only work for lawyers.  Many individuals contact me thinking I am a "discount" attorney.  I would certainly appreciate more information about the client so as to avoid those types of jobs.

@Pandora H wrote:

I found even to be invited for interview, but still could not see client's profile. This is my personal experience. Anyone 

can help to point out how to find clients' profile after beining invited for interview.

Thanks

David

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

Clients don't have a profile page like freelancers do, but you can find all the important details on the right side of their job post, when you click on the invitation you received.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

thank you for the quick reply. The following info on one of my client shown on the right side:

=====================================

About the Client
Payment Method Not Verified 
5 Jobs Posted
=====================================

No informaiton about the client's location included. 

Wonder if this is normal? I think more info about clients should be
included.

David

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

I see you're referring to the previous invite you received, from a new client who hasn't yet verified their payment method or entered all the information. Since you are already communicating with the client, you can ask them to verify their payment method and provide further details before proceeding with the interview.

Also, please note that you should discuss all the details with your client in Messages, alternatively on Skype or by other means, and have the obligation to work with your client and get paid through Upwork.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

The client info that is given is not adequate. Freelancers need to know basic information, like whether the client is a business or individual and what their main purpose is. The client should also provide their website if they have one so the freelancer can get a better feel for the company. For example, I am happy to work with students to help them to see where/how they can improve their writing, but I will NOT work for an essay-writing company that sells students essays to submit as if the student had written it themself. Other unethical clients want freelancers to write fake reviews for products and services, and the more information a freelancer gets, the more they can vet the clients. Upwork needs to consider requiring clients to complete information which includes who/what they are, where they are, and the main purpose of the job so that ethical freelancers don't waste time applying to clients they would never work for. This information should be provided BEFORE any client is allowed to list their job. It would take very little time to do, and clients who do not provide the information should not be on Upwork.

There is no way for Upwork to force clients to disclose any of the information that you would want to have. Of course, Upwork can ask clients to provide those details, but then the client could fill in whatever they want and Upwork has no means to check if it's true.

In addition, more you bug the client with questions at the account creation or job posting phase, greater the chances that they click away to another site. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant about the information that most freelancers would need to choose appropriate clients. I do not think it would be any problem for clients to have to say who they are (individual or business) and the main focus of their job. The point is to provide just enough information to assist freelancers to determine whether the client is appropriate for them. One or two simple drop-down boxes could do the trick--it really does not have to be onerous if designed appropriately.

I have in fact stopped applying for any essay or academic writing jobs as I found too many of the clients were essay mills.

@Lynn M wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant about the information that most freelancers would need to choose appropriate clients. I do not think it would be any problem for clients to have to say who they are (individual or business) and the main focus of their job. The point is to provide just enough information to assist freelancers to determine whether the client is appropriate for them. One or two simple drop-down boxes could do the trick--it really does not have to be onerous if designed appropriately.

I have in fact stopped applying for any essay or academic writing jobs as I found too many of the clients were essay mills.

Unfortunately, I don't think more detailed client information is on Upwork's road map.

Academic integrity is an ongoing bone of contention. Writing other people's course work is against Upwork's ToS, and yet they seem to have an extremely ambivalent attitude towards what is and what isn't cheating (or who and who isn't doing it).

I have given up opening tickets to report these people; there are too many of them and too many mills get away with it.

😞

Hi Vladimir,

Many clients do not post their location or their company.  Those are the only 'two' important details I see, which is good, if they provide, but it still isn't enough data to make a strong assessment of the client.

It would be nice if they would provide a company website; that would be very helpful.

🙂

Hi Cathy,

Most of the clients on the platform do state their location, but some new clients fail to provide this information initially, until they decide to hire a freelancer or verify their payment method. In those cases, you can ask the client for this information or wait until they verify their payment method.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I guess every client must provide their detailed information and it should be clearly visible on their job posting without us having to submit a proposal.

I so agree. My current drop from Top Rated (and, for a while, below 90% JSS) was, I'm 99% sure, from a client whose name I didn't know till I accepted the job. It was in a country that should have been fine, and in education - a field I thought should be fine. I am careful about jobs I accept, and did as much research as I could - but once I had their name and did an internet search, all kinds of warning signals came up (disgruntled employees, lots of talk of disorganized approaches, etc). Sure enough, I got into the work, went through four project managers who all changed the parameters, and in the end it was transferred to a fifth manager who didn't like what I'd done (though I'd done as I was asked) and gave me a bad rating - I suspect to cover herself with superiors. I very much wish I'd had that company name prior to accepting the work. I'm back to 91% JSS, but still not Top Rated, and I think it may be 4 weeks or more, still, till I manage to get Top Rated again.

I completely agree.  i am presently working with a client who is making life difficult for me.  I would very much like the option to see her previous feedback.

daniel1908tt
Community Member

Clients from Elance are being told to open an Upwork account, but there is so much mroe restircitons as the payments methods that can be used on Upwork. For example, your PayPal account has to have two payment methods linked to it, and freelancer earning cannot be used to pay contractors on Upwork. 

This feels more like a step backward than forward! Elance had better client payment options, and Upwork just seems too unfreindly with it comes to payment methods for clinet accounts! 

Hope Upwork would consider add these to features to the payment methods, hopefully a manger would reply??? 

Yes Daniel i completely agree with you. upwork is not going forward its more backward. I really wish all this may change soon.

lallum
Community Member

I was an Elance user for many years, and am very disheartened by the new site.  The work is not as forcoming or as lucrative.  I no longer know who I am going to work for, and there are so many more "scam" jobs on the site.  Elance was reputable, Upwork has not proven to be such as of yet.  I am very disappointed.  

Upwork really needs to look at the satisfaction of the freelancer.  Without happy freelancers they will not make money.

How do we help them improve since Elance is basically dead?

lynnm19230
Community Member

I'm very late to discuss this topic, but I think it is important to know the client before applying for any position. For example, there seem to be a lot of clients on Upwork who pay people to write student papers and then sell these papers to students who then submit them as if they had written them (for assessment).

Where I come from, this is called plagiarism, cheating, stealing, collusion, misrepresentation, unethical, and many other terms, and I will not have anything to do with this type of practice. However, I would be delighted to work with a student to help them edit/proofread their own work. Too bad, though, as I have removed "academic writing" from my skills set because looking at any related work is just a time-waster, as I have to go through and try to guess if it's an essay company or a real student.(And most are essay companies.)

I am fairly new on Upwork so maybe some of the above is incorrect...

outsourceupwork
Community Member

I think we all deserve answers, why client profile is not accessible ?

Uplift Upwork Visual Style : Add-on
Link Removed
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths