Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Qualifications / Vetting

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
1 of 11

My Complaint (rant):

I received an invitation this morning with the title "Spark Kmeans," which I believe means they want a Kmeans for a single Sparks’s module for MLlib

Client info: 4 Jobs Posted, 75% Hire Rate, 1 Open Job; $0 Total Spent 3 Hires, 1 Active; (0.00) 0 reviews; Member Since May 2, 2016.

Now, there's a 20 percenter!

I have mentioned in the Community many times that the time to reply requirement for freelancers My Stats and the CS score system is an unfair metric given the hoard of poor quality clients on this platform.

That time to reply CS Score metric needs to be eliminated, and clients like the one I am writing about need to be sent to another site -- at least bounced off of this one.

Has the process of someone at Upwork reviewing new job posts still in practice? Part of the onboarding process for new clients should be monitoring of their initial activity to ensure that they are prepared to succeed on this platform. Maybe a review of their first three job posts against established and documented criteria would be a practical approach toward vetting new clients.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Hi Ron,

We do assist new clients and I would like to ask our team to check the job you mentioned. It seems to be a private posting, so could you please send me the invite details and job link in a pm?

Thanks.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 11

What is the problem?

The client has only been here a few (5) days and has hired 3 people from 4 job postings, and is actively looking to hire for the 4rth one.

Accept the invite to clarify what they want, or simply decline the invite.

It does not cost you connects, the client approached you directly. It is no skin of your nose either way to ask for their requirements, or to hit the decline button.

Community Guru
4 of 11

Oh Petra...my most favorite Community contributor! Really!

The point that I am trying to convey is in consideration of the inter-operability of the many workflows on the Upwork platform -- inputs and outputs -- especially completeness, accuracy, and adequacy -- all from a systems perspective.

For instance, if I were auditing Upwork policies, procedures, and work instructions (flowcharts, workflows, etc.) to ensure adequate controls are in place to sustain effective and economical operations, I would categorize the job posting in question as an observation -- one worth consideration by a quality assurance or similar functional department within Upwork.

Of course, the same observation might have been documented as a minor issue for formal review and disposition, and too many occurrences of the same minor issue would constitute a major problem that might require the attention of a higher authority.

There have been many posts whereby members have questioned how Upwork fulfills quality requirements. Unfortunately, everything with Upwork seems to be defined by teams for various functions. However, without access to additional Upwork internal information, I for one find it difficult to determine who or what group [team] is responsible for quality as defined in most real-world industries.

By the way, with regard to the invitation in question, instead of declining I did bid on the job with a ridiculous rate of $154 per hour, and my cover letter and proposal reads: n/a ... not complete, not accurate, and certainly not adequate ... my bad.... I should have had more coffee first...lol....

Community Guru
5 of 11

@Ronald T wrote:

By the way, with regard to the invitation in question, instead of declining I did bid on the job with a ridiculous rate of $154 per hour, and my cover letter and proposal reads: n/a ... not complete, not accurate, and certainly not adequate ... my bad.... I should have had more coffee first...lol....

Well done. Let the client mark your proposal as rude and spam. I am sure it will help you (not) going forward.

Would it have cost you a great deal to accept the interview, asking politely for clarification, rather than smacking someone who may just not understand how things work in the face?

If you didn't feel like it, simply declining in two mouse-clicks and going on with your life would not have cost anything more than 30 seconds of your time.

I agree. You should have had your coffee first Smiley Wink

Community Guru
6 of 11

Petra, My day in the hot seat...lol.... In this case, I cannot disagree with your views. There goes my 100% JS score up [down] in flames!

Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
7 of 11

@Ronald T wrote:

Petra, My day in the hot seat...lol.... In this case, I cannot disagree with your views. There goes my 100% JS score up [down] in flames!

?

I'm pretty sure that the only things that affect your JSS score are associated with actual contracts, not what kind of proposal you submit. 

Community Guru
8 of 11

@Ronald T wrote:

No, it will not affect your JSS, (only actual contracts will) but being rude or clearly frivolous in your applications or invitation responses - and the client indicating this when they decline you, may well affect your search placement and visibility if you make a habit of it.

Community Guru
9 of 11

Thank you Laura and Petra for the information regarding the JS score.

There's that rude card again...lol...just kidding.... Opinions are always welcome and are just part of the online social environment.

It seems that a client is a student of the data sciences seeking assistance with class assignments. Although often considered unethcial, what was decided about clients hiring freelancers on Upwork to do their student homework? Allowed or not allowed?

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 11

Not allowed but still posted regularly. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS