🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Read Proposal Notification
Page options
aagitetech
Community Member

Client Read Proposal Notification

Hello,

I am member of upwork since 2012. Now a days upwork took many steps in order to improve performance. My suggestion to upwork is, It should provide a simple notification about proposal. 

As a freelancer I always bid on job post. Upwork is charging connects to bid on job post. Since last 1 year bid response rate is 0.01. Means when I bid on 100 job post only 1 client respond me even I have very good profile & job satisfaction rate.

My suggestion to upwork is please provide bid read by client Notification. At least I can come to know that client is reading our bid. As we are Charged to bid on job post while on client side No fee/charge to post a project. So it might possible they are not serious about job post. In this case as a freelancer we are continously loosing our connects.

15 REPLIES 15
moonraker
Community Member

Nikhil M wrote:

I am member of upwork since 2012. Now a days upwork took many steps in order to improve performance. My suggestion to upwork is, It should provide a simple notification about proposal. 

Wait...

You complain that Upwork has made too many steps to improve performance, but you then suggest another step?

As a freelancer I always bid on job post. Upwork is charging connects to bid on job post. Since last 1 year bid response rate is 0.01. Means when I bid on 100 job post only 1 client respond me even I have very good profile & job satisfaction rate.

I may have misunderstood what you are trying to say, but what do you mean by the part in bold? That you bid on every job?

In which case, no wonder you get so few replies. You should only bid on jobs that you feel are a good fit for you. 

My suggestion to upwork is please provide bid read by client Notification. At least I can come to know that client is reading our bid. As we are Charged to bid on job post while on client side No fee/charge to post a project. So it might possible they are not serious about job post. In this case as a freelancer we are continously loosing our connects.

As a freelancer and as a client, I would not like to see this implemented. 

I get to respond in my own time and not feel pushed into being rushed. I don't want people expecting something from me because I logged in at whatever o clock. 

Such information won't benefit you anyway. There's no way you can use it to improve your prospects. "Oh, he read my propsoal" -  then what? 

Jamie F wrote:

Nikhil M wrote:

Wait...

You complain that Upwork has made too many steps to improve performance, but you then suggest another step?

No, he mentioned that Upwork "took many steps"

The difference a "k" makes 😉

I have seen that suggestion before. Like you I have no idea how knowing whether a client read the proposal or not makes any difference. 

I never look at what happens to jobs I apply to. I send my proposal and promptly forget all about it until and unless a client gets back to me. 

Petra R wrote:

Oops

*Need more caffeine* 

Jamie F wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Oops

*Need more caffeine* 

there you go ;)there you go 😉

My concern is with connects. The connects which I spent to bid on job post. It means "If you want to reach to customer with your proposal you need to spent certain connects."

Now I just want to see that whether client had seen my proposal or not. Through this I can make decision. Which types of desicion? Desicions Like,

- Is there any fault in  my proposal?

- How can I convience client in better way?

- Why my proposal is rejected even after client had read my proposal & all answers?

- If client had not seen my proposal since 10 days of job post it means client is not very serious about this job post.

-  I can make anyalysis of client also. How many percentage of job post being awarded & cancelled.

Nikhil M wrote:

1 Is there any fault in  my proposal?

2 How can I convience client in better way?

3  Why my proposal is rejected even after client had read my proposal & all answers?

4 If client had not seen my proposal since 10 days of job post it means client is not very serious about this job post.

5  I can make anyalysis of client also. How many percentage of job post being awarded & cancelled.

1. If your success rate is as low as you say, then yes, it's likely that your proposals and / or profile are not that great. Knowing if your proposal was read or not does not help with fixing that.

2. Knowing if your proposal was read or not does not help you to find out how you can convince a client better.

3. Knowing if your proposal was read or not does not help you find out why you were rejected.

4. And that helps you how, exactly?

5. You can see that from the client info on the job post.K nowing if your proposal was read or not does not help with that.

In other words: Knowing if your proposal was read or not doesn't help. If it doesn't help, it is not needed.

Nikhil M wrote:

My concern is with connects. The connects which I spent to bid on job post. It means "If you want to reach to customer with your proposal you need to spent certain connects."

Knowing whether your proposal was read or not does not get you your connects back and does not help you spend less money or anything of the sort.

If you could see all the proposals and could see which ones were read and which went straight into the bin, THAT could help you because you could see what sets successful proposals apart from unsuccessful ones.

But of course that will never happen, nor should it.

Nikhil M wrote:

Now I just want to see that whether client had seen my proposal or not. Through this I can make decision. Which types of desicion? Desicions Like,

- Is there any fault in  my proposal?

- How can I convience client in better way?

- Why my proposal is rejected even after client had read my proposal & all answers?

- If client had not seen my proposal since 10 days of job post it means client is not very serious about this job post.

-  I can make anyalysis of client also. How many percentage of job post being awarded & cancelled.

I can't tell you how to work, but I honestly think that you'll just be wasting your time looking for insights that don't exist.

And it's still a no from me on the recommendation. 

Capture.JPG

Yes, Really appreciate upwork!

Upwork get it exact concern, This ia what I am trying to say.

Thank you upwork for getting me correct!

bushra_a
Community Member

Good observation! Couldn't agree more with you.

Noureldin Y wrote:

https://www.upwork.com/my-stats/

Your profile was discovered *** times last week.

That should make you able to know if someone cared about your proposal or not.

No, it does not, because that metric EXCLUDES any and all profile visits that resulted via a proposal, and includes ONLY those that resulted from a search.

Noureldin Y wrote:

My profile is PRIVATE, and I have these stats working.

Wise decision, and according to Upwork it shows views from search results, as has been confirmed many times, most recently here.

wescowley
Community Member

I agree with Jamie and Petra on this one - just no. It's the client's business which and how many proposals they read, if any, and the indicator really wouldn't tell you what you're looking for. 

The best indication of whether your proposal caught the client's interest is whether or not they start the interview with you.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Nikhil.

I like your suggestion. Working as a freelancer on Upwork is a business and every business owner benefits by knowing whether his or her advertising and marketing efforts are useful and a good use of time and money.

It would be useful to know whether potential clients even read our proposals, since we now have to spend money on connects for each proposal. If my math is correct and your average is, say, four connects per proposal, you're spending $60 per hundred proposals submitted. That might be a big number compared to what you expect to earn on the 1-in-100 projects you are awarded by potential clients. (It isn't a big $ number for me, but I spend about 10 - 15 minutes per proposal, so the cost in terms of my time spent crafting proposals is not insignificant.)

If you know a very large percentage of your proposals are not even being read by potential clients, that would suggest a certain number of possible causes, some of which you might be able to address or some of which are related to the intensity of competition in your little corner of Upwork heaven or just the way Upwork works.

If you know a very small percentage of your proposals are not being read by potential clients, that would suggest a different set of possible causes or maybe no significant problem at all.

I submit over 300 proposals to potential clients per year, 25% or more of which are in response to client requests for proposals. So, if I knew 95% of the proposals I send on request are read and 75% of the proposals I send unsolicited are not read, that would tell me where I should focus my search for new projects on Upwork or suggest that I need to change my approach to unsolicited clients.

I wouldn't care whether or not this information would be anonymous, as long as it distinguished between solicited and unsolicited proposals over, say, the past 90 days. I don't need to know which specific clients read my proposals. I just need to know where my time, generally speaking, is best spent trying to find new clients on Upwork.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Nikhil, there are two parts to this email.  First -- it is useful to understand that Upwork's system is, even by measure of enterprise IT-class systems, massive.  Making a change, though I would like to see it too, would cost the company 100s of thousands, if not more.  I write this often, not to be catty.  It is simply that -- what we see as an "app" and would like it to have more/different functions.  Is actually a massive system that requires massive investment to update.

I notice your win rate.  This is distressing.   I have written a thought capital piece on techniques to structure a solid proposal letter. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Perhaps, maybe just perhaps.  Restructuring your proposal letter according to these tips and tactics may help improve your connection rate.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Coffee-Break/Tip-of-the-week-Application-Letter-Content-Development/...

- John

Why can't we get a read reciept delivered to our Upwork inboxes likewise or included as a metric on our psudo-dashboard or on the proposal itself if a proposal is read?  Where can we submit site enhancement requests if there is one?  This is not a large ask in my opinion and have delivered projects before that complete round trip notifications from start to finish.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths