cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Refused To Pay

Wan Lin A Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
1 of 3

oDesk community, please advise.

I'm relatively new here, so I accepted a job which paid quite badly, I just wanted kind of a stepping stone. It was approximately 1 hour of transcription, and the agreed sum was $11.

Subsequently, after submitting the finished result, the client made me wait a week, before coming back to tell me that his client rejected the file and therefore could not pay me. He then referred me to add someone else on Skype and talk to him.

This guy said that my work was decent, and that they will pay me ONLY IF I WORK WITH THEM FURTHER. I insisted on getting paid before I work with them anymore (I really wasn't keen to work anymore with them for peanuts). But he kept giving excuses like it wasn't done according to their format required, they have low margins, there were a lot of errors in the file etc.. My thought is, if the file is really full of errors, why would they call it "decent"? And even still, ask me to work further with them?

In the end, they cancelled the offer without paying me. This client has rather good ratings and reviews, and even used that as his assurance that they will pay me if I continued working with them.

Opinions, please? If I'm not wrong, there's really nothing I can do, right?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 3

Wan Lin, I don't think there is much you can do at this point.

This is NOT about the quality of your work. It is about the client.

How much effort do you want to put into trying to recover $11 from deadbeat client who is playing go-between games and has no intention of every paying you anything?

I advise you learn from the experience and move on.

Sorry.

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 3

Hi Wan Lin,

Sorry to hear about this experience. For future jobs, definitely manage your time using our tools so you can qualify for the oDesk Guarantee or payment protection through the use of Escrow and Milestones (fixed price jobs). We know there's anxiousness to get started, but this shouldn't mean sacrificing payment that is rightfully yours for work you've done.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS