cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Refused to Fully Fund a Job

Jennifer G Member Since: Dec 29, 2017
1 of 5

Luckily, only my 2nd problematic client in 3 years...

But for clarity, I bid on job, flat rate. As always, I stated that I would provide 2-3 options. After completing the first design, I noticed that the client had only funded a $10 escrow "Until I Get a Design I am Happy With". I went ahead & sent one more option, then told him I would be happy to continue to work on the job once it was fully funded.

Well, he accused me of not knowing how to complete the job professionally, refused to fund the job fully & closed the contract (which is fine, I had my red flag!) and requested a $10 refund.

Was I right, or was I wrong?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Jennifer G wrote:

Luckily, only my 2nd problematic client in 3 years...

But for clarity, I bid on job, flat rate. As always, I stated that I would provide 2-3 options. After completing the first design, I noticed that the client had only funded a $10 escrow "Until I Get a Design I am Happy With".

Was I right, or was I wrong?

You were wrong to accept the contract under those circumstances. By accepting the contract you accepted the milestone conditions, which were "until I have a design I am happy with."

That's clearly ridiculous but unfortunately no matter how ridiculous it is, you accepted it and agreed to it.

You may need to use your top rated perk to remove the impact of this contract from your JSS calculation, provided you haven't used it during the last 10 contracts and 3 months.

Jennifer G Member Since: Dec 29, 2017
3 of 5

Thanks for your reply, Petra.

I honestly didn't even realize he did that, it was only a $40 job so it never even dawned on me that it wouldn't be fully funded. Re-reading the messages, he did try to get me to send "ideas" prior to having the contract, which I immediately said I cannot do.

I'm not worried about the money, its more of a principle.

But what is the top rated perk you mentioned...I have never used this, or aren't aware of what it does? That is the only thing I am concerned about, I have no negative feedback YET.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

@Jennifer G wrote:

I honestly didn't even realize he did that, it was only a $40 job so it never even dawned on me that it wouldn't be fully funded. Re-reading the messages, he did try to get me to send "ideas" prior to having the contract, which I immediately said I cannot do.

Yeah. We've all been there. Chances are next time you'll check Smiley Wink - Also, it sounds like there were red flags even before you got an offer. The path to sanity for a freelancer lies in NOT accepting every contract offered. Life's too short for bad clients.

@Jennifer G wrote:

But what is the top rated perk you mentioned...I have never used this, or aren't aware of what it does? That is the only thing I am concerned about, I have no negative feedback YET.

The contract will hit your JSS even though there will be no visible feedback on your profile.

As a top rated freelancer you have the opportunity to remove one contract from your JSS calculation.  (No more frequently than once every 3 months and 10 contracts)

You can read about it here.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

re: "Until I Get a Design I am Happy With... Was I right, or was I wrong?"

You were wrong.

Any contract that involves working on something until the client is happy with it, without a clearly defined deliverable, should be an "hourly contract."

Not a fixed-price contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS