🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Requesting More Without Paying For It
Page options
eeda8ab6
Community Member

Client Requesting More Without Paying For It

Hey there, so I'm a music producer and a freelancer here on Upwork and I have a client with whom everything was going well. 

I made a few beats for him and he seemed to love my work. Naturally, since I produced the beats, I put it up on other platforms to sell them (BeatStars, Instagram etc.). 

He saw that and claimed that I shouldn't have done this as he has exclusive rights to the beats, meaning I can't use them anywhere. This was never stated in the contract and he's threatening to file a dispute with Upwork on this subject.

He already requested a refund for the number of beats he paid for in advance and I refunded him back the money but I simply am not willing to give him exclusive rights for the same price.

What should I do now?

3 REPLIES 3
aitringo
Community Member

When a freelancer produces work for a client here in the platform, it is stipulated that the work and the rights go to the client.

Now that you have already initiated the refund in favor of the client, I think the rights are yours now.

But I'd rather wait for a staff member to confirm this.

eeda8ab6
Community Member

Yes Mohammed, I'll wait for the dispute to be filed and see if Upwork has my back or not. Thanks for the comment.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

If he accepted the refund, then I'd say the rights revert back to you because then technically, no work was delivered. But yes, unless otherwise agreed upon, the client owns what they contracted a freelancer for and rights to it. In perpetuity, in all mediums, in all possible universes, yada yada yada.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members