cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Requesting Refund 1 Week After Payment Made

courtney-king
This is the first time I've been asked to provide a refund. The position was a fixed job and $100. When I applied I proposed $90.00, with 50% upfront payment. I was hired. During the job the client lowered the payment by $25, changed the job description the last day before the deadline, and when I completed the job they were angry I did not meet their requests (that they did not inform me of until after I completed the entire project.) The client left a very negative, biting review on my profile. I didn't say anything on their profile and gave them 4 stars. I was paid the original amount of $90 last week. I spent it already and informed the client of this. I honestly do not have the funds to pay back this client right now. I am pretty upset. If a client is not happy with the work I provide I always offer to re-do WHILE I am still under contract or refund the money before payment is even made. This client said nothing and has not contact me in two weeks. Why do they need the money back now? Will I have to pay them back money I do not even have at the moment?
7 REPLIES 7
emily1982
Hi Courtney, I've read your post and I could feel how upset you are. If everything happened in the way you described it, I don't see why you should refund this client. You have submitted your task based on what has been agreed at first, when the client hired you. That the said client came up with a different job description along the way or a shorter deadline, should not be your responsibility, as this is not what you agreed to in the first place. This is how I see things. I'm glad you spent the earnings of your hard work. Now, stop stressing out and enjoy the festive seasons. If we all had to walk by moody or abusive clients' rules, oDesk would be a sad place.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Looking at the client's other feedback, it seems like you are not the only freelancer the client has done something like this to, so I wonder if it might be a good idea for you to report them to support.
I contacted the help desk to inform them. It's been sorted out with lots of screenshots for evidence. The client sent me another message, but I stated I have nothing further to say to them. The help desk was helpful.
I overlooked their profile again and see the negative reviews they are now getting. I think the client and position may be a scam to get contractors to complete the work, be paid, then at a later unknown date be asked for a refund. The position I was hired for seems to be continuously posted with the same title. I'm not sure if the job is legitimate now that I overlook their profile again. Could this be a possible scam to trap contractors into working under false pretenses? I read today on this forum that fake "clients" will create multiple accounts, hire a contractor (which is themselves or someone they know) "complete the work", and then leave positive feedback. For a contractor who is not in on the scam and looking for legitimate work, seeing the five star reviews and verified payment account they (or I) assume the client is not a scammer. Now that I think about it and have read through all their past reviews, there are very few reviews made for contractors. The earliest reviews are positive 5 star reviews while the mid to remaining reviews are none or 1-3 stars. I hate to accuse a client of scamming, but it looks extremely shady now. The client even sent me a shady message. I hope help desk takes note of this if something is up.
Have you checked if the client has already posted anything you wrote on the web? [quote=Courtney K.]I I read today on this forum that fake "clients" will create multiple accounts, hire a contractor (which is themselves or someone they know) "complete the work", and then leave positive feedback. For a contractor who is not in on the scam and looking for legitimate work, seeing the five star reviews and verified payment account they (or I) assume the client is not a scammer.[/quote] That's good to know.
I wouldn't be able to find the work I completed if I tried. It was very generic, as they instructed me. Now I feel it is definitely a scam.
I wouldn't be able to find the work I completed if I tried. It was very generic, as they instructed me. Now I feel it is definitely a scam.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS