🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Requesting Refund
Page options
danaricc
Community Member

Client Requesting Refund

Hello,

I'm having an unfortunate experience with a client, and I'd appreciate any advice.

I just completed a job (a bio) for a client who hired me at my hourly rate of $60. I spent 3 hours on the project, so the total came to $180. The client just contacted me after closing the job to state that she didn't understand how it cost that much for 3 hours and thought it must be a mistake. I informed her that it wasn't an error, that my hourly rate is $60, and that's the amount that would have been set when she hired me. 

She responded with,**Edited for Community Guidelines**

(Please note that this client reached out to me because she saw some work I'd done for a friend of hers and she liked it. The friend, however, found and hired me through the Project Catalog, where I have a set rate of $125. Thus, the cheaper cost.)

The client is now requesting a refund, and she subsequently responded with the below:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I'm not sure what she means by "less my friend's." I'm guessing she's suggesting that the work required less time/effort than her friend's (how would she know?), but the copy was actually longer in length (if she's being technical about it).

I understand that the client is new to the site, but I think she's trying to use that as an excuse for her oversight (She may have assumed the $60 was a fixed price.) There's nothing unethical or non-transparent about UpWork's hiring process. My hourly rate was there, and it's not my problem that she didn't see it. She now wants a refund of $120.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want any aggravation, but when I accept jobs, I assume the client realizes what they're going to be charged or know that they're agreeing to an hourly rate.

How would you all handle this?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you so much, Preston! Very helpful advice.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

What you are describing strikes me as unprofessional, unethical, and immoral behavior on the part of this client.

If a client hires a freelancer to do some work, and the freelancer does that work, then the client should pay the freelancer for the work. That is not an unusual or difficult concept.

I think it is helpful for you to start out with an understanding that this client's request for a refund is unreasonable. With that in mind, you can move forward in figuring out how to obtain the best outcome for yourself.

But keep in mind: You must always communicate with other Upwork users in a polite, professional manner. Even if their actions are inexcusable.

I recommend that you don't argue with the client. Don't defend yourself. But you could "pass the buck" in terms of the responsibility to educate her. You are NOT obligated to train her in the ways of Upwork.

You could tell the client:

"Gretchin:
Thank you for your note. If you have questions about refunds, then you can get extremely fast help by going here:
https://community.upwork.com/
and posting a question. You can ask about whether or not you should receive a refund. I will follow whatever instructions are provided there. Just send me the link after you post your question."

It will then be her responsibility to go to the Forum, ask a question about getting a refund, and provide you the link that explains what should happen next. If she asks you anything else about a refund, then all you will do is either ignore her or say "Okay. Just send me the link when you have it."

If people in the Forum tell her that she should actually pay freelancers for their work... Then this client may not even send you the link. In fact, she might not pester you about a "refund" again. Keep in mind that you don't need to give her a refund just because she manages to get information about HOW to issue a refund. You would only need to provide a refund if she is told that you SHOULD issue a refund.

Thank you so much, Preston! Very helpful advice.

roberty1y
Community Member

You'll gain nothing by giving her a refund, apart from confirming her belief that freelancers can be bullied into compliance. If she didn't take the trouble to learn what your pay rate is, that's her problem.

Thank you for your straightforward and succinct advice, Robert! Really appreciate it.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Just out of curiosity, did you use the time tracker so she can see snapshots of the work you did?  Then she has proof your time was used towards this project. Either way, she should not get a refund. 

This is an unfortunate case of the client not being educated on the process. She could have chosen a fixed-price option. 

Yes, I did use the time tracker, although she doesn't seem to be suggesting that I didn't put in the time (at least, not yet). Thank you so much for your advice, Robin!

tlbp
Community Member

Don't refund the client. Don't try to argue with her either. She's just going to use whatever you say to continue complaining. 

danaricc
Community Member

Thanks, Tonya!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members