cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Reversed his Payment after Ending the contract. Hourly Contract.

Ace Contributor
Muhammad R Member Since: Dec 27, 2014
1 of 36

I got a job to Create Custom Tumblr Theme. I liked that person So much, His way of conversation, His availability and his requirement delivering method. It was an Hourly job.

When i got it. I stopped the work on all other contracts. I said to him that Sir, My Laptop sometimes stops the Time Tracking app, And I am from Pakistan and Electricity power cuts off many hours. But our job is to write codes so Allow me to Add Offline hours too. He Agreed on it and Allowed me to add hours.

In Short i added hours completed his work. He liked my Work very very very much. He Got his work done. And Ended the contract with Perfect Feedback.

After 8 Days of ending the Contract, He Reversed his payment about 427$. I did approach to Upwork agent and he said that offline time added so we dont do any thing. 

Why is this?? When the Contract is Ended with positive feedback 8 days ago. This is not a good thing. I need my money. 

What i Should do. My client is now not even replying me. And He blocked me from every where that i could not even send him Message or email. 

What i should do now.

I have all the conversation history with that client.

Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
2 of 36

report the client but Upwork is quite clear there's no protection on manual hours. I'd say it's a write off

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
Ace Contributor
3 of 36

No I am not agree with it. When a Client is Agree to add hours manually, He agreed, Then why upwork is not taking action against him. Upwork shoud ask him that why he reversed when he Agree by written words to add manual hours. Then whey always a freelauncer gets punishment not a client. I want to file a dispute against him.

He should do it Before ending the Contract. WHen he ended contract with good feedback. And After 8 Days of ending contract he reversed payment. This should not be done..   I need Justice

Ace Contributor
George J Member Since: Nov 9, 2014
4 of 36

@Muhammad R wrote:

No I am not agree with it. When a Client is Agree to add hours manually, He agreed, Then why upwork is not taking action against him. Upwork shoud ask him that why he reversed when he Agree by written words to add manual hours. Then whey always a freelauncer gets punishment not a client. I want to file a dispute against him.

He should do it Before ending the Contract. WHen he ended contract with good feedback. And After 8 Days of ending contract he reversed payment. This should not be done..   I need Justice

Do you have a record of this agreement? Like email, skype, or even messages through Upwork? If I was in this position I would send over all communications between myself and the client regarding manual time. That way there's some level of proof that the client had agreed to it.

Ace Contributor
5 of 36

Yes. I have all the Discussion. He is agreed to add manual hours. I dont discuss over skype or email. Only Upwork Messages..

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 36

@Jutta B wrote:

report the client but Upwork is quite clear there's no protection on manual hours. I'd say it's a write off

That doesn't seem right. I don't do hourly work, so I don't know the process in detail, but it seems there's more in play here than the payment not being guaranteed. It's one thing to say it's not guaranteed and give the client the opportunity to review hours and refuse payment. To allow that time to pass, the client to actively or passively approve the hours completed and make payment and then later come back and take it back is another matter entirely. 

Ace Contributor
7 of 36

Okay. when a client knows every thing He gets his all files he want. And He Says 

(excellent. money is not a consideration so put in as many hours as yu need to to get it done within that time line)

And Then he Ends the Contract with 5 Star feedback. And After 8 Days The Client is Reversing the payment. That is not Justice. That is not fare thing. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 36

@Muhammad R wrote:

(excellent. money is not a consideration so put in as many hours as yu need to to get it done within that time line)

The client's name is almost certainly fake, and no *real* client says "money is not a consideration" and "put as many manual hours in as you like...."

Client did not pay Upwork for your work, and because you chose to wor without the protection of the guarantee by using manual time Upwork can not pay you for something the client has not paid them for.

The crux of the matter is that the client never paid. Had you used the tracker you would have been paid by Upwork out of their own pocket. You didn't. The End.

The client is suspended, but that also won't get you your money.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 36

@Petra R wrote:

The client's name is almost certainly fake, and no *real* client says "money is not a consideration" and "put as many manual hours in as you like...."

I can see this being a red flag in many cases, but I can assure you that legitimate clients do in fact make that representation under a variety of circumstances. I have received similar instruction from clients, and I have also been in the position of hiring freelancers for a large international corporation that was launching an ambitious new product. All of the freelancers who reported to me were under instructions to put in as many hours as they had available, and the only restriction (which the freelancers were not apprised of) was that I should consult my direct superior if it appeared that freelancer costs were going to exceed $250,000 for that phase of the project.

Ace Contributor
10 of 36

Nice Answer.

The client is working as well. He is not suspended. Therefore i wish to make dispute against him.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS