cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Reversed his Payment after Ending the contract. Hourly Contract.

Ace Contributor
Muhammad R Member Since: Dec 27, 2014
21 of 36

And Sir, More Over, If he has ended the contract then there should be no option to reversal of payment. When a Client is saying..

(excellent. money is not a consideration so put in as many hours as yu need to to get it done within that time line)

Then there is nothing faulty from My Side. It is the fault of client. Then why the client is free from all charge? I wish to make a dispute against him sir. 

I know Upwork dont qualifies the Manual Hours. But Upwork can do some basic enquiry from client why he is not paying the money. He did not asked me for a refund ever. But after 8 days of ending contract my payment is lost. So we have to do free work sir. ?

I humbly request to inquire from him. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 36

The client never "reverted" the money. The client never paid in the first place.

As has been mentioned several times: There is no "dispute"

The client is gone

The money is gone

It would have been clear that this was not right from the second he said "money is not a consideration" - NO real client would say that to a stranger.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 36

Muhammad R:

Upwork does not take a lot of time pondering situations like this.

If work doesn't qualify for its payment protection plan, then it doesn't do anything to protect the payment.

Manually-logged hours don't qualify.

I always try to use use the time-tracking software, because it is safe.

Sometimes I'll log additional small amounts of time here and there with clients that I trust. These are with ongoing projects. The clients trust me to log time accurately, and I trust them to pay me and not dispute anything. Sometimes we end up in online conversations or even phone calls and don't use the time tracker, so I'll log manual time.

But that is rare. Experienced, successful Upwork contractors know that manually-logged time doesn't qualify for Upwork's protections, and they either don't use manual time or they use it cautiously and wisely with trustworthy clients.

For your own well-being, you will want to learn from your mistakes and move on with a positive outlook about future projects.

Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
24 of 36

Regarding manual hours in design: a good designer don't base owrk on computer, we sketch, we research, we produce using "offline tools". I feel that Upwork should have protection over manual hours if it is proven in conversation that client agreed on paying them. Using computer is our last stage. I know that someone can expliot that, but I seriously belive that Upwork could have protection over two hours a week as a respect of some sort.  

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
25 of 36

@Jan L wrote:

Regarding manual hours in design: a good designer don't base owrk on computer, we sketch, we research, we produce using "offline tools". I feel that Upwork should have protection over manual hours if it is proven in conversation that client agreed on paying them. Using computer is our last stage. I know that someone can expliot that, but I seriously belive that Upwork could have protection over two hours a week as a respect of some sort.  

I agree about manual because I do it too but there are so many scammers. Like the guy with 73 manual hours logged in a week for a tumblr design. Plz. That's the issue that they have.

I'd say limit the amount of guaranteed hours to like 10-15 but even so you know people will milk that.

The frustrating thing is that it's not the honest freelancers who drive the rules around here. It's the loser scammers and providers.  

Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
26 of 36

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Jan L wrote:

I agree about manual because I do it too but there are so many scammers. Like the guy with 73 manual hours logged in a week for a tumblr design. Plz. That's the issue that they have.

I'd say limit the amount of guaranteed hours to like 10-15 but even so you know people will milk that.

The frustrating thing is that it's not the honest freelancers who drive the rules around here. It's the loser scammers and providers.  

I do not code, so I cannot say how many hours should someone take to mak responsive tumblr theme. Bu I see that many webdesigners use templates and tweak around them. In all fairness, 2 hours are fair protection in scammer infested enviroment. I belive that real deal freelnacers cannot be punished for the bad practices of others.  

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
27 of 36

@Jan L wrote:

@Jennifer M wrote:

@Jan L wrote:

I do not code, so I cannot say how many hours should someone take to mak responsive tumblr theme. Bu I see that many webdesigners use templates and tweak around them. In all fairness, 2 hours are fair protection in scammer infested enviroment. I belive that real deal freelnacers cannot be punished for the bad practices of others.  

It's unfortunate when these things happen, but Upwork is not here to hold our hands or "punish" us.  They are a platform that connects clients with freelancers.  They have certain protections in place, but it is our responsibility as freelancers to vet clients and decide for ourselves if they are serious or fit to work with.  Personally if a client ever told me "money was no object" I would run for the hills, especially if it come to using manual time.  

I live not very far from the Gulf, so I know what my weather is like and how it can change in a blink of an eye. So it is my responsibility to make sure I have alternatives when it comes to power and internet outages.  Manual time should not ever be guaranteed because it would be up for so much abuse Upwork would go broke.  

Like I said the OP made a call to do manual hours knowing it wasn't guaranteed and now he will have to learn from the loss.  But it is in no way Upwork's responsibility to hold our hands and make sure things are "Fair".   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Ace Contributor
Muhammad R Member Since: Dec 27, 2014
28 of 36
Hey Dear. I am sorry Not the 73 Manual Hours. The Full job was of 73 Hours Manual + Time Tracked. Some hours were Manual.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 36

lol so you had MORE than 73 hours? HAHAHA Yeah, you tried to scam a scammer. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
30 of 36

@Jan L wrote:

Regarding manual hours in design: a good designer don't base owrk on computer, we sketch, we research, we produce using "offline tools". I feel that Upwork should have protection over manual hours if it is proven in conversation that client agreed on paying them.

The problem here is that that the client indeed "agreed to pay" but then failed to pay Upwork. So it is not a matter of guaranteeing the payment against a fraudulent dispute by the client, the client plain and simple did not PAY....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS