🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Threatening to Request Refund for a Jo...
Page options
kire_t
Community Member

Client Threatening to Request Refund for a Job

Hello, Community. 

I have a client I have been dealing with for the past year. I had an hourly contract that I have done with him, but I have not worked for him in months. Today he contacted me threatening to request a $250 refund for a project he only paid $100 for several months ago for the job. We just ended our contract recently, but he is threatening a $250 refund for work he just got around to checking through. He sent me a long threatening email as well.

I am not sure what to do. I have already blocked him as this is not the first time he has done something like this. I am not sure what can be done past this point. I would be willing to give him back the $100 he paid me already, but I really don't know how that works or what can be done. Does anyone have any pointers? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

I'm always intrigued by clients who "threaten to request a refund." We hear this a lot.

Often, the client threatens to request a refund in hopes of getting the freelancer to voluntarily give him a refund.

How does that make sense? The worst possible outcome of a client requesting a refund is that he gets it. A freelancer who gives the money back to avoid a refund request gains nothing. A freelancer who ignores the threat usually ends up keeping the money.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kire,

I'm sorry to hear about this unpleasant experience. I was not able to locate the conversation you're referring to. Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information, including a screenshots of their threatening and requests. I'll be sure to escalate this accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Member

Kire T wrote:

Hello, Community. 

I have a client I have been dealing with for the past year. I had an hourly contract that I have done with him, but I have not worked for him in months. Today he contacted me threatening to request a $250 refund for a project he only paid $100 for several months ago for the job. We just ended our contract recently, but he is threatening a $250 refund for work he just got around to checking through. He sent me a long threatening email as well.

I am not sure what to do. I have already blocked him as this is not the first time he has done something like this. I am not sure what can be done past this point. I would be willing to give him back the $100 he paid me already, but I really don't know how that works or what can be done. Does anyone have any pointers? 

If it was an hourly project that was completed  months ago then he is SOL. You should be out of any window where he could contest it through Upwork, so he is just bullying you to try and get a refund. 

Just block him.

ANY response you give him will provide him with gratification.

kire_t
Community Member

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate this. 

tlsanders
Community Member

I'm always intrigued by clients who "threaten to request a refund." We hear this a lot.

Often, the client threatens to request a refund in hopes of getting the freelancer to voluntarily give him a refund.

How does that make sense? The worst possible outcome of a client requesting a refund is that he gets it. A freelancer who gives the money back to avoid a refund request gains nothing. A freelancer who ignores the threat usually ends up keeping the money.

petra_r
Community Member

Kire T wrote:

Today he contacted me threatening to request a $250 refund for a project he only paid $100 for several months ago for the job. We just ended our contract recently, but he is threatening a $250 refund for work he just got around to checking through.

The only hourly contract you seem to have ended recently was for just over $ 250 though?

At any rate, if it's been more than 30 days since any hours were logged, the client can "request" all he likes, nothing is going likely to happen

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members