Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Threatening to change Feedback

suchetna
Suchetana G Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
1 of 12

Hi Everyone,

I am facing an issue and need your advice. The  client asked to write articles for him but only gave one milestone. Later he asked me to write more articles and said that he would pay for those at the end. Later after several follow ups one fine day he cancelled the contract without informing me and paid only for one article. He gave me Five star feedback. but I was not happy with this behaviour. I was being cheated as he didn't pay for the other articles and he wanted to compensate the payment with good feedback, which is not acceptable to me. So I gave an honest feedback and gave him one star (as he did not pay me for the other article after repeated follow ups). Now he has threatened me over skype to change the feedback or else he will give a negative feedback to me. Please suggest what should I do. I have been working in this platform since years but never faced such thing before.
I am attaching the screenshot of the message the left over skype for me.
Kindly suggest.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

The client can not change feedback once left unless you enable him to do so, so don't worry about that.

in future, never submit work until it is FUNDED, and please inform the client that you own the copyright to all articles that were not paid for, and that you are not giving him permission to use them. Inform them, in a very polite and businesslike manner, that a DMCA Take Down Notice will be issued against any site that uses any of the unpaid work, then check regularly if they appear anywhere.

shanmajeed54
Community Leader
Shan M Member Since: Jun 12, 2015
3 of 12

Hi Suchetana G,

First of all, you should not work with client before getting any new miestone. You're working from years but not following Upwork fixed price protection through pre-funded milestones.

Please get a new milestone before starting new task for the future and as far as the concern of threat, you don't need to worry. If the client has given you 5 stars. He cannot range the ratings again. So, He can't give you negative ratings now untill you enable client to change the feedback.

Be careful for future. I hope this helps you.

Best,

Shan

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
4 of 12

Where they can change feedback is in the comment on the feedback section.  It has happened to me and it looks like now I have to give a full refund just to have it removed.  So far the client has not given me evidence of her dispute either.  My dispute files are just an empty 'other' and no response  or explanation from upwork.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 12

@Amy M wrote:

Where they can change feedback is in the comment on the feedback section. 

No. They can not change the feedback they left you, they can only comment on the feedback you left for them.

This does not publically show on your profile, only if someone actually bothers to click on the contract title to see what feedback you left for the client, which is something I have never known a client to do.

They look at the feedback that is visible on your profile. No client has the time to click about on it to see further contract specific details.

amymortensen
Community Leader
Amy M Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
6 of 12

@Petra R wrote:

@Amy M wrote:

Where they can change feedback is in the comment on the feedback section. 

No. They can not change the feedback they left you, they can only comment on the feedback you left for them.

This does not publically show on your profile, only if someone actually bothers to click on the contract title to see what feedback you left for the client, which is something I have never known a client to do.

They look at the feedback that is visible on your profile. No client has the time to click about on it to see further contract specific details.

That's what I hope and think too Petra, thanks.  

What you shouldn't do is respond to that comment on the feedback because that will appear on your profile -- and draw attention to it.   Just wanted to offer that advice in case it ever happens to anyone else.  

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 12

Hi Suchetana,

In addition to the advice Petra shared, please take screenshots of your Skype communication and send them and any other relevant information via a Support request to our Customer Support team.

Untitled
suchetna
8 of 12

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your prompt responses. It helps a lots. I have raise a ticket attaching the screenshots as suggested. 

Regards

Suchetana

suchetna
9 of 12

I would like to ask another question that if I do not click the Enable to Change the Feedback, it will not be enabled automatically right? Or Shall I do something else? This is the first instance, I am facing this in years, so your help will be appreciated. I am afraid like in Dispute, if we do not accept the dispute; after some time, it automatically gets accepted, is there something similar to it? 

Regards

Suchetana

katevillanueva
Ace Contributor
Katherine V Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
10 of 12

No, the only time a client can change feedback is if you allow them to. You have to enable the change feedback function, it is not automatic. So if you don't want to give them permission to change the feedback then don't enable it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS