🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Trying to Cheat Me out of Fixed-Price ...
Page options
luda_marketing
Community Member

Client Trying to Cheat Me out of Fixed-Price Contract Escrow?

Hi Upwork!

I've been a freelancer on this website for over a year and have had excellent clients so far. However, a few days ago I applied and was accepted for a proofreading job. This was a fixed priced contract and I spent a few hours to make sure it was perfect and high-quality (as with all of my work, obviously).

The client replied a few days later stating that their in-house proofreader took a look and said that the work was "low quality." To be honest, I was completely shocked when they sent me this message - I have over 5 years of experience, I'm a native English speaker, and so on. At the same time, the client approved the milestone and sent me 1 cent (??) and requested a refund of the original amount in escrow.

I think that this is unfair. I spent my time and effort to make sure that their document was thoroughly proofread and do not feel that I should refund them the original escrow (under $100). It really seems that they're trying to get this work "for free" by saying that my work was low quality (which it definitely was not). However, I'm afraid that they will leave negative feedback that will affect my JSS. What would be the best way to deal with this situation? 

*Note - I'm Top Rated and could technically remove the negative feedback, but it'll state that "this feedback was removed" and might look suspicious to future clients. Should I do this anyway if they leave me negative feedback? 

5 REPLIES 5
tlsanders
Community Member

You have far too much positive history to be held hostage to the threat of negative feedback. Dispute and let the chips fall--a weird notation or even one bad entry is not going to change your overall picture significantly.

petra_r
Community Member

I'd go with dispute of the Escrow funds too! Unless the sum involved would not make it worth the time and effort.

*IF* you want to use your perk and not dispute NOTHING will show on your profile because contracts where less than $ 1.00 was paid do NOT show.

So there would not be a "This feedback has been removed" on your profile, the contract will not show at all, in any way.

Tiffany and Petra - thank you so much for your replies! I was feeling down over this incident but you two have really helped me with your advice 🙂

A quick question about this -

"*IF* you want to use your perk and not dispute NOTHING will show on your profile because contracts where less than $ 1.00 was paid do NOT show."

So if I accept the escrow refund, end the contract, and they leave me bad feedback, will it still impact my JSS (even though it's not publicly on my profile, but I know there's still the private feedback)?

Thanks again!

@Luda B wrote:

So if I accept the escrow refund, end the contract, and they leave me bad feedback, will it still impact my JSS (even though it's not publicly on my profile, but I know there's still the private feedback)?

Yes, the JSS includes all contracts within the calculation window, whether they are visible on the profile or not. If the contract tanks your JSS you can use your perk to remove any impact it has but you might want to wait and see just how bad it will be before "wasting" your perk.

If it only drops you a percent or so you might want to save your perk. If it drops you significantly, use the perk and have the contract removed from the calculation and be done with it:)

Hi Luda,

I`m sorry that you have this bad experience, additionally I can advise you to check our protection guides: Upwork Payment Protection and Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Apr 27
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Featured Topics
Learning Paths