🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Unresponsive Since July 11
Page options
elizabethannroy
Community Member

Client Unresponsive Since July 11

A website developer approached me to write the service pages for a general contractor's website -- roofing, siding, gutters, and general contracting. We negotiated a contract, and then I asked for more details on the general contractor's business to gather information to include in those pages.

Is the business insured and bonded? Does the work crew make a point of arriving to do the work on time? Do they clean up the work site each day before leaving and after the project is completed? Do they complete the project on or before the deadline and on or under budget? Does the work crew receive updated training and equipment on a regular basis? What is the company's USP? What sets this company apart from their competition?

I agreed to complete the work by August 11th, but I obviously need information about the general contracting company to write the pages. 

I have had no response from the web designer.

What would you do? Continue waiting? (I don't want to end up trying to write the pages on August 10th.) Try to contact the web designer again? Write generic service pages and see if I receive more specific information I can add at the last minute? End the contract and refund the money? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

The web designer probably doesn't know the answers to those questions, although you'd think he'd have a protocol for capturing that information. But maybe this is new territory for him. Or maybe he has more irons in the fire than he can juggle. None of which is your problem.

I would send a message thus: "Hi, Joe, just touching base to see when I might get the information needed to write the service pages for the Acme Contracting site. In case it's helpful, I'm attaching a Word document with the open questions that you or someone at Acme can fill in for me. We agreed on a target date of Aug 11 for completed copy. In order to make that, I'll need this information no later than [insert date]. If the timeline for this project has changed, please let me know so I can plan accordingly and remain available to you. Thanks, etc."
Avoid holding yourself hostage to a target date that might not be operable any more.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tlsanders
Community Member

I would send a message saying something like, "just a reminder that I need x, y, and z from you before I can move forward. No rush on my end, but I know you listed a deadine of August 11. If we are to meet that deadline, I will need the requested information no later than July 30 (or whatever allows you reasonable time). "

Then, I would just go on with my life.

Hi, Tiffany, 

Thanks for your prompt response. I've decided to blend your suggestion with Phyllis's to craft a message for the client. 

Elizabeth

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

The web designer probably doesn't know the answers to those questions, although you'd think he'd have a protocol for capturing that information. But maybe this is new territory for him. Or maybe he has more irons in the fire than he can juggle. None of which is your problem.

I would send a message thus: "Hi, Joe, just touching base to see when I might get the information needed to write the service pages for the Acme Contracting site. In case it's helpful, I'm attaching a Word document with the open questions that you or someone at Acme can fill in for me. We agreed on a target date of Aug 11 for completed copy. In order to make that, I'll need this information no later than [insert date]. If the timeline for this project has changed, please let me know so I can plan accordingly and remain available to you. Thanks, etc."
Avoid holding yourself hostage to a target date that might not be operable any more.

Hi, Phyllis, 

Thanks for your prompt response. I've decided to blend your suggestion with Tiffany's to craft a message for the client. The designer was able to tell me that he has a 45 day workflow for designing websites, so he didn't seem to be a neophyte as a designer. He is young, though, and, I think, not experienced in working with a professional writer. He's also new to Upwork.

When I selected the deadline, I selected a date that would give him time to insert the copy. 

When I requested the information from him, I did send a document for his client to fill out. He said that he would have his client fill it out ASAP. This client is a friend of his that he is trying to help out, but still, you're right. He may not know all that much about his friend's business. 

Elizabeth

kat303
Community Member

You should make it a point to get all or a vast majority of the information, details, questions answered, and the material/files you would be working with before you accept a contract. The client should have supplied that information to you before you accepted the contract. That way a least you'l have something to work with. 

What would you do?

Continue waiting?

Yes, At this point an emergency could have come up.and until you hear back from the client there's nothing you can do.

As you see it coming closer to the due date you can message the client that because you have not received answers that are needed in order for you to start, the due date will need to be pushed back.

After that, it's up to the client.

You don't want to end the contract and refund what's in escrow unless it's absolutely necessary because a job with no money earned will affect your JSS. 

Hi, Kathy,

Thanks for your prompt response. I had no idea that ending the contract and refunding the money would affect my JSS, so thank you for that information. I was considering that option only because it would free me of the client. As I mentioned to Phyllis, he is young, so he has yet to develop a level of business professionalism. I'm willing to make allowances and subtly mentor someone, but only up to a point.

Since I've done service pages before, I know how long it would take me to write them once I have the information I need, so I didn't really need to have the information in hand to estimate the extent of the project. I think from now on, though, I will get that information in advance before finalizing a contract. That's a good suggestion. Thank you.

Elizabeth

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members