cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client -Upwork -Freelancer. A Dispute that Client will always win, specially if you have no revi

saimintech
Saim S Member Since: Apr 24, 2017
11 of 17

Security! Can you help a freelancer in making his reputation secure?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
12 of 17

No. If the client leaves a negative review, you can politely respond with your own account of events. Your statement will appear on your profile page. If the client leaves no public feedback, then you have nothing to respond to. Your private feedback and JSS may be adversely affected. It is likely that little can be done about that. There is no protection against bad business deals for individuals working as freelancers. 

patir
Ace Contributor
sunaram p Member Since: Sep 6, 2015
13 of 17

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the client's review anymore. It doesn't matter what you do for him now, he will give you a bad review anyway. Some clients come with sky high expectations and whatever you do will always make him feel like you underdelivered.

Just get the money and move on. Don't forget to give the rating/review he deserved either.

The good thing is that we don't always keep getting such clients. And your review will scare freelancers away from him.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
14 of 17

Saim - I think no matter what you do at this point, the client is going to leave bad feedback. How you respond to it can either hurt you more then the actual bad feedback, or it can be professional and help you.

When the dispute process is started, it's best that an agreement be negociated between a client and freelancer. If that fails, then it progresses to having a moderator. The monderator will suggest an outcome which Both of you can agree on. If that fails then the last step is arbritration. That would cost $291 for a freelancer, $291 for a client and
$291 for Upwork. If it's determined that you should get paid, you will receive what's in escrow. You do NOT get the $291 back. Same for the client.

But, if the client doesn't pay, you WILL get that $291 back in addition to what's in escrow

It would be your decision whether or not you want to esclate this to arbritrion. To "bluff" the client by taking it that far and hope that the client backs out, .... or not.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

It is important to understand that not every client/freelancer collaboration is a successful one.

Not for me, not for the original poster, not for anybody who uses Upwork extensively.

Sooner or later, we run into a situation that doesn't work out. Upwork understands this. Clients understand this. If a freelancer has a few less-than stellar reviews or unsuccessful experiences, it's okay.

caela-s
Ace Contributor
Michaela S Member Since: Nov 6, 2016
16 of 17
Hi Saim,

I recently went through the same thing and sadly UpWork was of no help what so ever. The moderator was bias from the begginning and only had the clients interest at heart. At the end it sounded like almost a threat that if I did not accept an additional $5, it would move onto artbitration.

It's upsetting and unfair but the reality is clients know they have the power to control, manipulate and over work you as nothing really happens to them. They don't lose anything. We do.

So my advice is you can either take a chance with arbitration or leave a very detailed review for the client addressing the wrong that was done while still being professional. However. If you have the finds to go through arbitration and the payment the client refuses to approve is a fair amount (covers the cost of arbitration and then some) then go ahead.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but honestly speaking there will be some negative experiences but there will also be some good on here, just hang in.

Kind Regards,
Michaela

caela-s
Ace Contributor
Michaela S Member Since: Nov 6, 2016
17 of 17
Arbitration * funds*
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS