🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Vanishes Halfway Through Project
Page options
elizakz
Community Member

Client Vanishes Halfway Through Project

Hi Everyone,

About two months ago I started a contract with an indiviual that was all laid out and seemed to be running smoothly. Then after finishing the first milestone the client had me work on certain parts of the project while they "figured out what the next steps they should take". ( Basically if they should search and provide the images or they should pay me to search for the images they wanted) So I was completely fine and understood. So I worked on what they wanted me to do in the meantime for the 2nd milestone. I finished it and sent a message saying that I was finished. They ask how many were finished that was leftover and I answered. Then silence........ I've messaged them a couple times since then but nothing.. So yesterday I messaged them saying that ill be sending over a payment request today for the work that was completed (hoping that they would respond). So at this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm still going to request payment but I'm afraid to send over the dropbox link with the finished work because I don't want them to aquire them without payment. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Elizabeth:

A client is not required to communicate with a freelancer in order for the freelancer to get paid. That is how the system is designed.

If a client disappears, then the freelancer still gets paid.

If you have done work and want to request payment for that work, then you MUST provide that work. Do not request payment unless you provide the work. That is not how the system is intended to be used.

Provide the work, and then use the "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

If the client has disapeared, then you will get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

I never send messages to a client to tell them that the work is done. I ONLY use that button. The button notifies the client. AND the button starts the countdown to you getting paid automatically. So use the button.

re: "I'm still going to request payment but I'm afraid to send over the dropbox link with the finished work because I don't want them to aquire them without payment"

The client's credit card has ALREADY been charged. The client has ALREADY paid money into escrow. There is no way for the client to get the money back now, unless YOU authorize a refund. So don't be "afraid" of not getting paid. You're supposed to send the work.

robin_hyman
Community Member

If your milestone was funded, you've already been paid for the work.  Hand it over and submit via the tool as Preston mentioned.  

No need to keep contacting the client.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths