🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Wants Draft But Hasn't Accepted My Pro...
Page options
5c65a107
Community Member

Client Wants Draft But Hasn't Accepted My Proposal

I'm new to UpWork, and I recently submitted a proposal for a job that was met with a message from the client saying "I would like to hire you", but never accepted my proposal or created a contract. The proposal is still in pending. I said I would give them drafts, but assumed she would accept my proposal first. I'm now realizing, because the client was very vague and unclear, that they were asking for a draft without payment. They have also begin communicating with me via external email and they want the draft tomorrow. Am I bound in any way to produce a draft for this cleint or should I tell them I cannot begin work until they accept my proposal through Upwork and then agree to a contract?

6 REPLIES 6
PradeepH

Hello Haley,

I agree with Preston. We do not encourage Freelancers to submit samples or test drafts to the Clients before accepting a contract on Upwork. I see that you are new on Upwork, you can read up on the freelancer resources for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs. You can report any suspicious user activity to our Trust and Safety team directly for investigation. Feel free to message us if you have further questions.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

This prospective client is just wasting my time right now.

Hiring people and paying them to work is not a complicated concept.

I am not going to give this prospective client a draft or do anything else on her behalf until I have been hired. I will tell her:

"Darlene:

Thank you for your interest in working with me. I will be happy to send drafts and continue working on the project once an official Upwork contract is in place. You can go ahead and set up an hourly contact and click the Hire button. I will accept the offer and continue working after you do that."

After that... if the prospective clients sends any messages to me, I need to IGNORE what she says and simply respond: "Okay, we can talk more about that after the contract has started."

I am an immovable object. I can not be tricked into working for free.

tlbp
Community Member

No contract = not a client

No contract = no money

No contract = getting scammed into working for free

Read through the forums and keep an eye out for "client didn't pay" and "client asks for free work" posts in particular. You'll get better at recognizing what to avoid with time. 

0466602d
Community Member

@Preston, Thank You!!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Haley W.,

There are many types of clients on Upwork, some of which you don't want to work for.

I call this particular type a Wimpy - "I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today."

Even if this client does offer you a contract, keep in mind she likely has little idea of how business in general and Upwork in particular work. She's welcome to samples of similar work you've done for other clients or employers, but a free first draft? Not even an option.

If you do want to work for her anyway, follow Preston's advice, read through the information Pradeep recommends and then set the ground rules for this project clearly, including being very specific in what you will and what you will not do for this client.

Good luck!

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's against Upwork's terms of service for you to exchange any contact information with clients before you have a contract in place; this is supposed to protect you from situations like you've described, where the client is pressuring you via email. Obviously, if you don't have a contract, you shouldn't do anything for this client; it sounds like they're just scamming you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members