cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Wants My Personal/Business gmail email address

realizeadmin
Active

Hello!

I have a potential client that would like to beging the interview process by obtaining my business gmail account.  Is this permissible?  And if it is permissible, is it safe and a normal course of action?

I am new to all of this.  I want to comply with the Upwork rules and also be safe. 

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Jennifer Knopf

Realize Virtual Assistance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
katrinabeaver
Community Guru

It's fine to give a client your email.  All of my clients have my email. Just remember a few things:

Never accept payment outside of the platform 

Never give your bank account or any other personal info

Never start work unless you are officially hired on platform and escrow has been funded (fixed price job)

Those are the main ones.  You can read the job warning signs thread for lots of great info on red flags. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Guru

Jennifer: It doesn't violate any Upwork rules to provide a potential client with your email address, but most experienced contractors would tell you it's a bad idea to provide it.

I am happy to provide my email address to clients after they have hired me and an official contract is in place.

Tell your (currently POTENTIAL) client this:

"Frank,

Upwork's messaging system can be useful for some things, but I agree that it can be much more convenient to communicate via email. So, yes, I'll send you my personal/businss gmail address after after you click the 'Hire' button so I can agree to the contract."

vdubeau
Community Guru

Yes it is permissable to provide other contact information to the client. It could be email IDs, phone number, Skype ID, etc. Whatever you feel comfortable with providing. You just aren't allowed to provide that inofrmation within your profile.

Speaking of profiles, you should include an actual picture of yourself before Upwork gets upset Smiley Happy.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
katrinabeaver
Community Guru

It's fine to give a client your email.  All of my clients have my email. Just remember a few things:

Never accept payment outside of the platform 

Never give your bank account or any other personal info

Never start work unless you are officially hired on platform and escrow has been funded (fixed price job)

Those are the main ones.  You can read the job warning signs thread for lots of great info on red flags. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

re: "you should include an actual picture of yourself before Upwork gets upset"

You should have an actual photo of yourself because many clients won't look at (much less hire) a contractor who doesn't post a photo.

@Preston H wrote:

re: "you should include an actual picture of yourself before Upwork gets upset"

You should have an actual photo of yourself because many clients won't look at (much less hire) a contractor who doesn't post a photo.

I am a little confused when I see this in the forum. I was not accepted by Upwork until I had a clear, actual picture of myself up. Because I was unsure whether I trusted the platform was legit, I tried using a drawn avatar of myself. I am really surprised there are people with no image who have access to the marketplace since I was told a profile picture is required when I joined about three months ago.

Having worked with a few clients, what Preston says is true. Having a profile picture of your face makes a difference with legitimate clients as they want to see who they are working with.  When clients search potential freelancers the OP's would stand out compared to all the others with profile pictures. But it would not stand out in a good way.

About the email issue, it isn't against the rules to give it in an interview. However, I would not in the OP's case. Usually new freelancers are targets for scams and often the scammers want your personal information. They need to lead you off platform to get it. Some new freelancers also connect with legitimate clients. But I actually think this is less likely for a freelancer who has not actually completed their profile (including a profile picture). I am not just saying that because Upwork didn't allow me to access the marketplace until I posted a profile picture. It is also unlikely a legitimate client would choose you out of all the other possibilities without one. 

All the best! 

Many freelancers set up a separate gmail account for work projects.  I just provide my personal email and in four years, I haven't had a problem.  I do respond to them both with gmail and on Upwork just in case there is a problem in the future.

kat303
Community Guru

It's perfectly ok to give your personal email to a client.  Skype, messaging and even phone calls are acceptable. You mention that it's your business email. If it's YOUR business as a sole business owner, it's ok. But if the business email is from a business other than yours, then my answer would be a resounding no.

Also, sort of off the subject, I'm surprised that Upwork would let a freelancer with no picture in their profile to be able to apply for jobs, be interviewed and possibly (on the clients part) be hired and then turn around and suspend other freelancer profiles because of their picture.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS