cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Wants to Conduct Skype Calls Prior to Starting Engagement

Andrew G Member Since: Aug 16, 2017
1 of 11

A potential client of mine reached out to me yesterday regarding doing a Skype call prior to starting an engagement. I believe this is no longer allowed under the New Terms of Service set into effect on May 20th. I have not agreed to this call. I would like to gain clarity as to what kinds of communication are allowed prior to starting a contract. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

@Andrew G wrote:

A potential client of mine reached out to me yesterday regarding doing a Skype call prior to starting an engagement. I believe this is no longer allowed under the New Terms of Service set into effect on May 20th.

Where do you see that? I thought that was scrapped?

3 of 11

I'm asking an Upwork representative to either confirm it has been scrapped or that it is in full-effect. This was mentioned in an update a while back by Upwork's CS team. 

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
4 of 11

I hope that doesn't exist or @Rene's sunshine wouldn't work.

I thought as long as you don't make a private deal it is OK.  I personally like talking on the phone (I don't like skype).

Community Guru
5 of 11

@Andrew G wrote:

I'm asking an Upwork representative to either confirm it has been scrapped or that it is in full-effect. This was mentioned in an update a while back by Upwork's CS team. 

Read the Terms of Service. If it isn't forbidden there it's allowed.

6 of 11

The Terms of Service need to be clarified. I have a simple question: Yes or No, is a client allowed to communicate with me off the Upwork platform prior to starting a contract assuming that the contract will be administered according to Upwork's TOS? 

Community Guru
7 of 11

@Andrew G wrote:

I have a simple question:

Why? Are you having trouble reading the ToS? Or are you just too lazy to do so or is your English not up to understanding them? Which part is too hard for you to comprehend? Generally they are written in fairly idiot-proof language so why don't you try to read and understand them?

Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
8 of 11

Yikes, I hope it's allowed, I have Skyped, messaged, and phone called with potential clients and clients. 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
9 of 11

My understanding is that this proposal was not implemented and will not be.  Perhaps a mod could chime in and confirm this.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
10 of 11

Andrew, Mary answered your question. Simply, succinctly, and kindly.

You are right > U. did babble on about this a few weeks ago.  Both freelancers and buyers raised a much justified fuss.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS