🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client Went AWOL, But Milestone is Funded. Ho...
Page options
lillyallman
Community Member

Client Went AWOL, But Milestone is Funded. How Do I Get My Money?

I was working with a client a few weeks ago, and throughout the duration of the project they were responsive. On the day of the deadline they gave me some final notes, I submitted work for payment, and I haven't heard from them since.

I've tried following up but they're just gone.

Good news is that before I started I asked the client to fund the milestone, so the money is there. The bad news is I don't know how to go about getting my money and closing the contract.

I heard that payment will be automatically released in two weeks if a client does not respond, but now it's been 15 days. 

What do I do now?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Look in your contracts listing.

Click on this contract.

You will find a green "Submit Work / Request Payment" button.

Click that. Provide your files.

Wait. Get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

It's easy.

Preston, I have already done that, I requested payment on May 31st and it has not been automatically sent. The amount is still "in review".

Does there need to be a file attached when you're requesting payment? The project was too big for upwork, I had to send it via dropbox link. Maybe that's the problem?

Lilly A wrote:

Preston, I have already done that, I requested payment on May 31st and it has not been automatically sent. The amount is still "in review".

Does there need to be a file attached when you're requesting payment? The project was too big for upwork, I had to send it via dropbox link. Maybe that's the problem?

Lilly,

The size of the job is immaterial. If you submitted the work and then pressed the release funds button (even if you submitted the work in another way) then you have to wait 14 days. In this time the client can come back to you for revision, or can release the funds or can disappear,  in which case, the funds will automatically be released to you after this two-week period. If you click the release funds button again (before the 14 days is up), this will start the whole process again.  

If you close the contract before the 14 days is up, the money in escrow willl automatically revert to the client. 

Ideally, you should wait for the client to close the contract (after you have received payment) and leave feedback.  If you have to close the contract (which sometimes happens) make sure you have received some money from the client, otherwise your JSS will take a hit. 

Thanks Nichola, that does help me understand better, although it has been 16 days and payment was still not released to me.

I waited out the two week period, and still it shows that the amount is "in review". Do you know why that could be?

I resubmitted for payment today in a final attempt to contact the client, so it looks as though I'll have to wait another 2+ weeks to see what transpires. I don't know what I'll do if two more weeks go by and the payment is still not released.

Any tips?

Lilly A wrote:

I resubmitted for payment today

You can press the resubmit button as often as you want. Each time you do this, the 14-day period of the automatic release of the milestone resets. Once you stop pressing the button, you'll get paid.

It is really important that you read the help section before using Upwork and especially this: Get Paid.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members