cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Went Mental on Me...Said Concerning Things

rachel-salazar
Racheal B Member Since: Oct 10, 2016
1 of 9

I had a client who contacted me independantly to work this morning.

He went mental on me for continuing my work on his "friends" resume. I ended up giving him two, and he lost it. The end of the story is I had to end the contract unpaid and block him because he was messaging me a mile a minute, and it was freaking me out.

The short of it, is he started saying unusal things about always making resumes targeting US banks, and I blocked him. I don't even want to know what he was going on about.

So, my question: how do I report him? Do I need to unblock him to take screenshots? Cut and paste?

I'd really rather not have to jump back in there if i can in any way avoid it.

He's high rated, but it just seems like something someone should look into.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 9

I can see you are upset - but can you back up a bit and give us the A to Z facts on this - start at the beginning and go through to the end without diverging (and without mentioning names etc.).

It's difficult to assess the problem unless you do.

rachel-salazar
3 of 9

Thank you and yes. I wasn't sure what exactly I was allowed to talk about.

I was contacted by a client (seems highly rated and well-established) to edit and professionally polish a resume for his friend. I got the resume and did the best I could. Turned it in for review to see if I was on the right track.

Did some edits and adjustments as epected, and he started asking what skills does a banker have? What education does a banker have? It started to feel like he was hinting around about my padding her resume (it happens) so I ignored it. He logged off, and I went back to work on her resume to focus on some of the areas he mentioned that I felt comfortable adding- summary, skill list...

Went back and uploaded my work and told him I thought him and his friend would like this better, was more professional, had some color... (I usually offer an A and a B version) and he got angry.

I was susposed to know he sent it out, unprofessional, no one offers more than one, he doesn't want to make a decision... I don't know. He felt it was a big deal.

i

I offered to reupload the work he had already sent out, asked to make sure if his friend wouldn't mind another one...added that it's free in case he didn't realize. Pretty much he just kept on going until I started to prod about his friend being a client. (none of my business, but I'm not okay with it)

At this time, I'm getting messages per second, freaking out a bit, and finally tell him to keep the work, it's getting too unprofressional, maybe there's a communitacation/culture gap and he can have what I've done for free. (I know, I know)

*****This is what I'm concerened about: he started backpeddling, and kept saying to just pretend I'm writing for an American Bank, they make up resumes to target American Banks, all their resumes target American Banks, and basically if I just pretend it's okay, it'll be okay.

Again, maybe I'm reading too much into it, and maybe his english is poor (not judging) but it came across as a serious scam I don't want to be a part of.******

I just feel like someone more experienced should look at it (I'm new here), because this is out of my league, and I don't know if you all can peek into our messages in the back end.

sorry it's so long-winded, I really am.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 9

Hi Racheal,

If client's messages were inappropriate or violated Upwork ToS, you can report them to the team. If the message was sent on Upwork, you can report it by clicking the cog wheel icon next to it and selecting "Report Message:"

Screenshot_7.png

If the message was sent outside of Upwork, please send a screenshot of it via a ticket to customer support.

~ Valeria
Upwork
rachel-salazar
5 of 9

Thank you for that, I'm going to go check that out.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 9

Racheal,

Aside from the ethics of this job, was it  set up as a proper Upwork contract? Either agreed as a fixed-rate job  with a funded milestone, or hourly, with the tracker turned on?

rachel-salazar
7 of 9

Yes, it was set up as a fixed rate job. He got his work, I cancled it, and walked away. I want nothing to do with it, him, and whatever con he has going.

I'm just going to raise my rates and start charging what I should have charged in the begining, and insist on one heck of an interview process to see if I'll even waste my time with the client. Thankfully, I'm not desperate for money- it's all spending cash, so I'm just going to have to filter the weirdos out, as it seems hard to avoid obvious scammers and con artists.

/shrug w/e though.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 9

@Racheal B wrote:

....I'm just going to raise my rates and start charging what I should have charged in the begining, and insist on one heck of an interview process to see if I'll even waste my time with the client....

Racheal,

I do all my interactive screening of prospective clients using Upwork Messages. As I tell them should they ask, there is no point scheduling realtime communication before we have agreed on a workable framework for discussion (if then). Usually a few businesslike exchanges, resolving any ambiguity about their expectations and my terms, are enough to weed out the wankers and abusers from the plausible clients,.

Others' experience and advice will be different.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
9 of 9

Kudos for most intriguing subject line!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS