Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Won't End Contract

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
1 of 56

Hi everyone!

So, I worked with this lovely client on a short fixed price contract a while ago, and though everything went well - I have delivered, he has payed, everyone's happy - he won't end the contract.

I already wrote him and asked if there was anything else to be done, and if not, if he could please end our contract. He hasn't answered me, though he has answered other questions (about using the work on my portfolio), so he is active on UpWork and he does see my messages.

I don't want to keep nagging him about this, so, what happens if I end the contract myself? Is there a punishment for leaving a contract open but innactive? Any tips on how to approach the subject again with him, if necessary?

Thanks a lot guys, cheers!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 56

You can just close it.

If you close your own contracts and get zero feedback once in a while, it doesn't hurt. Just don't make it a habit.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
BEST ANSWER
3 of 56

One additional thing you can try before closing it yourself.  When you ask the client to close it you can indicate that an unused contract remaining open for long periods impacts your success score on this site.  You don't need to say a lot on this topic but some clients don't understand why it may matter.  Say it nicely and move on if no response.  There's no harm and the benefit is that they will understand that there can be negative implications to you and therefore may not blow off the request as incidental.  In the few times I have had to make mention, the client then always closed it with some comment about not knowing that could happen.  Not saying that will happen here but it's worth a try especially if the client were happy.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 56

Something that I have done many times when a client won't end the contract... I just keep working.

This does NOT WORK with fixed-price contracts, of course.

But with hourly contracts, if I have done everything that the client asked AND asked the client to close the contract, and he hasn't closed it...

Then I send suggestions about what can be done next, and tell them if they want me to keep working, then they can keep the contract open. The problem with this is it isn't really a "solution," because it means I keep working. I get paid, so that's good. But it takes a lot of effort for this to really get a contract closed. Because most of my clients have said that my ideas were good ideas, and they continued to agree to the suggestions.

So sometimes we end up just working on the project until it's perfected as much as we can possibly get it, before the contract is finally closed.

But if the client is on a tight budget, the contract gets closed pretty quickly.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 56

Hi Patricia,

In addition to the advice you've already received from our experienced users, you might want to inform your client about the instructions for closing your contract (click on the Jobs tab > click My Jobs > select End contract from the Actions menu) and assure them they could rehire you in a few easy steps if they need your services again.

If they don't respond after that, you can close the contract yourself. The client will be notified and still have the opportunity to leave their feedback, but even if they don't this contract won't affect your Job Success Score negatively unless you have a pattern of contracts without feedback.

Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
6 of 56

Thanks, everyone!

I will try to talk to him once more, if it doesn't work I will close it myself.

steven t Member Since: May 24, 2015
7 of 56

It's all good saying close the contract yourself but then you have 'no feedback given which I think is a deterant in itself.

Gergely-Gyorgy S Member Since: Jun 9, 2019
8 of 56

Hello! I also have this problem. Can you help me, please? Smiley Happy

I have 2 contracts which are not yet ended. One is a 5 dollar contract. I have been paid the 5 dollars, but the client is unresponsive and does not end the contract. The other one is tricky.

The other contract has been suspended and put on hold by Upwork, and the client did not end it. He did pay me, though. My question is: Can I end both of these contracts, even the one which is suspended/put on hold?

Thank you for your help.

Gergely.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 56

Gergely-Gyorgy S wrote:

One is a 5 dollar contract. I have been paid the 5 dollars, but the client is unresponsive and does not end the contract. The other one is tricky.

The other contract has been suspended and put on hold by Upwork, and the client did not end it. He did pay me, though.

Sure! But I would close them one at a time. The suspended one first (if that suspension looks permanent) and wait a couple of successfully completed contracts, then close the other.

They are not hurting you in any way, so it really does not matter.

Gergely-Gyorgy S Member Since: Jun 9, 2019
10 of 56

Hi Petra! Thank you for your help. I will do what you said. Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS