cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Won't End Contract

SUSAN k Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
31 of 56

There is a punisemnet for ending your contracts. ie. Job success score, I ave had similar experience recently with 2 clients who seemed to be happy with my job but refused to end the contract even after asking them several times. I don't know why they have suddenly decided not to end contracts.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
32 of 56

Oh sole mio!!

So...when I have finished the work, uploaded it, and before hitting the 'submit' button, I tell the client...Hi, Joe! Sending you the completed document! Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance! Could you also be so kind as to end the contract if there are no revisions needed? I would really appreciate your assistance.

It works MOST of the time. If I get no reply after a week or so, and once my moolah is sitting with me, I might send a follow-up...

Hi, Joe! Seeing as you never got back to me on this, I take it all is well! Could you do me a favor and close the contract, please?

Nothing further.....I close it. End of the story. Over and out. Move on....

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
33 of 56

Re: keeping a job open because customers come back every three or so months.

Ooooh I have those too!!!! Wonderful to have! Especially since, after each job, they close it and leave a great rating and a great comment!

Ace Contributor
Scott D Member Since: Aug 6, 2015
34 of 56
FORWARD THIS TO WHO EVER MAKES 
DECISIONS ON CHANGES THINGS ON UPWORK

Yes, I am psst!!! And will keep sending these messages through until UpWork gives Freelancers more control of 
projects.

Again, Client do not have time to:
• Close out projects
• Not Always give feedback even if you did an awesome job

Most freelancers know how the site works better then clients, so they should be able to CLOSE out a project and have it pop up on the client's side to give them a push to complete the transaction! 

I ASK YOU WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT FIXING THIS!!!???

Here is on of many projects, where I emailed the client after completing the project. I said, "Glad the project worked out successfully and feel free to close out the project since it is not completed."

see attached image

This is what the client stated. If a freelancer could Close out a project and have window pop up on the client's side where they HAD TO CLOSE OUT THE PROJECT this would work!

• Projects would close out  and not hang on
• Payment would be completed
• They could not get out of this pop up window without leaving comments
• The Freelancer would be helping the Clients with the Admin details of the projects, since Clients are busy with other work, traveling.

WHAT IS THE BIG ISSUE WITH UPWORK NOT SEEING THIS AS A POSITIVE MOVE FORWARD!!!!!

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
35 of 56

Scott, you already *can* close the contract. And if you do, the client gets an email notification and a notification on Upwork that the contract was closed and that they can now leave feedback. What you are demanding by shouting at the forum is already in place.

Community Leader
Husain A Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
36 of 56
Is there any negative impact on the profile of a client if he just decides to leave inactive contracts open for long periods of time? If there isn't, would I be wrong to think that freelancers are at a clear disadvantage here?
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
37 of 56

Hi Husain,

Even though clients do not have profiles and JSS in the same way as freelancers do, the information about a client's completed and in-progress jobs as well as their hire rate and total paid stats is available in the 'About the Client' section of their job posts. We also flag clients with a history of pool collaboration. If a client has been flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), then the client's feedback will not count against the score.

~Nina
Community Leader
Husain A Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
38 of 56

Nina K wrote:

Hi Husain,
Even though clients do not have profiles and JSS in the same way as freelancers do, the information about a client's completed and in-progress jobs as well as their hire rate and total paid stats is available in the 'About the Client' section of their job posts. We also flag clients with a history of pool collaboration. If a client has been flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), then the client's feedback will not count against the score.

Is keeping inactive contracts open for long periods of time considered poor collaboration? and does the freelancer take part in the flagging process, or is it all down to you guys?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
39 of 56

For crying out loud, it is not rocket science.

Manage your clients and your contracts effectively, which included managingg the end of the contract.

Get client to end the contract when the work is done. If you fail to do that, you have the ability to end the contract yourself.

Every contract has a handy little button on it which enables you to do just that.

Problem solved.

Ljubomir B Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
40 of 56

Hi Petra,

Can you please clarify something? If I, as a freelancer, close a contract that client didn't want to close and kept paused for a long time, do they have a chance to leave a (possibly negative) feedback?

Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS