Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Won't End Contract

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
41 of 56

Ljubomir B wrote:

If I, as a freelancer, close a contract that client didn't want to close and kept paused for a long time, do they have a chance to leave a (possibly negative) feedback?

Yes, for 14 days. If they don't leave feedback in 14 days after closing the contract, they won't be able to anymore.

Ljubomir B Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
42 of 56

And how bad is that? Can it affect my JSS? I know I can remove some feedbacks, thankfully, I never had to do that...

Community Guru
43 of 56

Ljubomir B wrote:

And how bad is that? Can it affect my JSS? I know I can remove some feedbacks, thankfully, I never had to do that...

Of course it can affect your JSS, how much depends entirely on the feedback that is being left, on how many contracts you have completed etc.

Maybe the client won't leave feedback at all, in which case it will have no effect.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
44 of 56

Husain,

A client's account is flagged based on the information Upwork receives about their contracts. We won't be able to share these details here in the Community in order to prevent abuse of the score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
45 of 56

If there isn't, am I wrong to think that freelancers are at a clear disadvantage here?

Answer two questions:

1) Where does all the money that we all earn and Upwork earns come from? Client of freelancer?

2) What is in plentiful supply at best; what does Upwork have enough, or even too many of? Clients or Freelancers?

If you manage your clients and contracts proactively and competently from start to finish you will not end up with a significant percentage of such contracts and an insignificant percentage does not affect your JSS.

Community Leader
Husain A Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
46 of 56

@Petra R wrote:

If you manage your clients and contracts proactively and competently from start to finish you will not end up with a significant percentage of such contracts and an insignificant percentage does not affect your JSS.

1) The client. But I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here—everyone involved matters equally.

2) Freelancers

I appreciate you taking the time to share your workaround with us; however, I wanted to know whether or not a client's profile is impacted negatively when he or she keeps inactive contracts open for long periods of time. If not, assuming there is equality between the client and the contractor, why would only the latter be held accountable for the lack of feedback? This is a genuine question.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
47 of 56

@husain A wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

1) The client. But I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here—everyone involved matters equally.

2) Freelancers

I appreciate you taking the time to share your workaround with us; however, I wanted to know whether or not a client's profile is impacted negatively when he or she keeps inactive contracts open for long periods of time. If not, assuming there is equality between the client and the contractor, why would only the latter be held accountable for the lack of feedback? This is a genuine question.

Not really. Not directly. I don't know how true equality could exist on any front, though. There are pluses and drawbacks to being on both the client and the contractor side. Keep working and getting feedback in the future.

As to your second question, this is something that won't be budged on so we may as well decide as contractors whether we can live with it. If we can, we stay; if we can't, we go. There will be NO budging on this, look back literally through years of this same compalint on these forums and you'll see that. Complaining, listing fairness/unfairness, doing a "I'm taking my toys and going home" won't do a thing...I can't tell you how many times (already...just since being here last November) I've seen "then Upwork will lose ALL the actually *good* freelancers..." threats. Nope. Upwork isn't worried because that will never happen. If you and I pack up and go, there will be four people who do a great job lined up right behind us. Or 10, or 100. There's no dearth of people wanting to make money from home.

It's a personal decision. We take the bad with the good (I personally feel the good overwhelms the bad but that's me) or find work some other way...don't stress yourself out getting angry about this. Just my $.02.

Community Leader
Denise S Member Since: Oct 7, 2016
48 of 56

re: Upwork will lose all the good freelancers (not)

Well, over on Coffee Break, there's a post about clients not getting responses to their posts - no freelancers applying, and what's going on? I was as vocal as others on these topics a few months ago, until I realized it was a waste of breath and effort. But I have wanted to say - my background is in corporate culture, and even more than the specific actions Upwork does or does not take on behalf of freelancers, their underlying attitude toward freelancers is really troubling to me. In my work with corporate cultures, it was interesting to note the companies who looked at bottom line as a very black-and-white, predictable thing, and didn't take into consideration how much employee (or in this case, freelancer) loyalty ultimately benefitted the bottom line, or negatively impacted it. I have really shifted in my loyalty to Upwork as a result of their lack of loyalty/concern about/fairness to freelancers. I still work here, yes. But I'm working as hard as I can to work here less and less.

I do suspect freelancers' loss of loyalty to Upwork ultimately has a negative impact on Upwork profits. Of course, unless Upwork looks at the situation and agrees, that won't change. Which is a shame, as I think a shift in how they view and treat freelancers would benefit them as much as it would us.

Community Guru
Randy S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
49 of 56

My understanding is, while neither inactive clients nor a few closed contracts without feedback will have much if any impact on your JSS, too large a percentage of either COULD. I'm honestly not sure which is more detrimental.

My only real concern with having too many "jobs in progress" open and inactive is what it COULD look like to a client who doesn't know enough about the platform to look deeper. 

It could just be me, but if I were a client who didn't know much about the platform, a large number of open jobs would be more of a flag than clients who couldn't be bothered to leave feedback. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
50 of 56

Husain,

I have one ongoing client for whom I have not worked in months, and I am pretty sure that eventually, my stats are going to get dinged because of this. However, the client is a super good client (budget a bit low for me) but a really nice person to work for. He is a most conscientious and consistent Upwork client, so it is highly unlikely that his stats will be dinged because one of his contacts (me) has not had regular work from him for some time.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS