🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client Won't Pay Milestone....submitted a...
Page options
caitoedwina
Community Member

Client Won't Pay Milestone....submitted again after 8 days,,,still nothing after 5 more.

I have an open contract with a client and finished my second milestone almost 2 weeks ago. After 8 days from not hearing from them, I resubmitted the work and still nothing after an additional 5 days. Will the money be released after a certain time? I read 14 days but is that from the first submission or (stupid me) the second?

Thanks!

Edwina Caito

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Edwina C wrote:

I have an open contract with a client and finished my second milestone almost 2 weeks ago. After 8 days from not hearing from them, I resubmitted the work and still nothing after an additional 5 days. Will the money be released after a certain time? I read 14 days but is that from the first submission or (stupid me) the second?

Thanks!

Edwina Caito

Yes, every submission or re-submissing starts the 14-day clock again. So don't do that. The right way to talk to a client is via chat. But why? I have perfectly nice clients that don't approve milestones and I have to wait 14 days. It would be nice if they approved before, but if they don't, I don't worry about it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Edwina C wrote:

Thanks!

Edwina Caito

Yes, every submission or re-submissing starts the 14-day clock again. So don't do that. The right way to talk to a client is via chat. But why? I have perfectly nice clients that don't approve milestones and I have to wait 14 days. It would be nice if they approved before, but if they don't, I don't worry about it. 

OKay....I figured as much but was worried that maybe they didn't get the notification. Lesson learned! Thank you!

lysis10
Community Member

Resubmitting resets the clock, so you have to wait another 14 days now. When you submit to a milestone, just leave it be unless the client asks for changes. If they disappear, it will auto release in 14 days.

Well, crud!! LOL! Thank you!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

This is one reason to set up milestones with the most important/highest value ones early in the project and leave the less important ones for last.

If a client wants Milestone 3 completed quickly, they'll have an incentive to pay and release Milestone 1 and Milestone 2 quickly so you can move on. There is no reason for you to begin work on Milestone 3 if either 1 or 2 remains unfunded or still in escrow.

If the final Milestone is 5% of the value of the project, you can just submit that work and let the automatic 14-day payout work itself out.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths