Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client a supposed financial genius but can't work out how to pay

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rachael O Member Since: May 25, 2016
11 of 15

I did not recieve any notification whatsoever the payment method was unverified. I even turned down the job to work with the client but she was insistant because her project was due. She invited me again and begged me to do it. She promised she'd work with me over that weekend to get it done. I took pity on her because I was a university student not too long ago with deadlines to meet. Of course she was nowhere to be seen. I put other work on hold to try and accomodate her. The stress is really getting to me now it's been dragging on for so long.

Not paying for work is stealing and should be illegal. There's really no other way around it. If you walked into a shop and put a load of items in your basket and walked out without paying, you would be tracked down and sent to court over it. You might even get thrown in jail if it's a repeat offence! Tell me how stealing a freelancers time and skill is any different?

It's bad enough there are so many lowballing clients on freelance websites, but allowing people to hire on the platform with no verified payment method really takes the cake. Bills don't pay themselves....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
12 of 15
There is nothing to prevent you pursuing this 'client's for non-payment through the legal system. Upwork has no restrictions in this respect.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
13 of 15

Rachael O wrote:

....I even turned down the job to work with the client but she was insistant because her project was due. She invited me again and begged me to do it. She promised she'd work with me over that weekend to get it done. I took pity on her because I was a university student not too long ago with deadlines to meet....

You "took pity" on a student whose "project was due," because you were "a university student not too long ago with deadlines to meet." And you are a writer.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
14 of 15

You both live in the UK and chances are you still have a .edu email address, right?

Is it possible that her professor or department chair (whatever system you use in UK) wouldn't be too happy with you helping her to do whatever you did?

Oh, they'd probably be even more ticked off when they find out she hasn't paid you. (Even if she did put money into escrow, this girl isn't that stupid. Nobody is that stupid.)

Do I need to make my suggestion any clearer? Smiley Happy Cheers

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
15 of 15

Hi Rachael, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. When a client sends an offer, you can click on the "View Details" link that is available on your Messages page, which should lead you to this page, and where you will see if the client's payment method is verified or not. On the Contract page, you will also see the note on Milestone 1 that the client's payment method is unverified. 

I'm sorry if you weren't able to see these information in your account. Let me know if this information was not available when you accepted the client's offer. 

I can confirm that a member of our team has reached out to your client today, to request them to verify their billing method. Hopefully, this gets resolved soon.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS