🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client accidentally approved milestone pr...
Page options
bjweinberg
Community Member

Client accidentally approved milestone prematurely

Hello,

I submitted work for a milestone, the client approved and that was all good, but she either had a slow connection or was a little trigger happy and accidentally approved the next milestone which I haven't worked on yet. We communicated about it and agreed it was a mistake and I refunded the money for that milestone. The client is unsure how to reopen the milestone and plans to call Upwork about it but could any of this hurt my JSS or status?

It was an honest mistake and I am compassionate about that from clients but I am concerned about this affecting my ability to find more work and want to make sure neither a good client nor me, is penalized.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Benjamin W wrote:

I submitted work for a milestone, the client approved and that was all good, but she either had a slow connection or was a little trigger happy and accidentally approved the next milestone which I haven't worked on yet. We communicated about it and agreed it was a mistake and I refunded the money for that milestone. The client is unsure how to reopen the milestone and plans to call Upwork about it but could any of this hurt my JSS or status?

It was an honest mistake and I am compassionate about that from clients but I am concerned about this affecting my ability to find more work and want to make sure neither a good client nor me, is penalized.

There is nothing to worry about at all. There is no need to "reopen" the milestone, the client can just create a new one.

None of it will affect your JSS or status.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Benjamin W wrote:

There is nothing to worry about at all. There is no need to "reopen" the milestone, the client can just create a new one.

None of it will affect your JSS or status.

Good to know. Without having a clear understanding of the algorithm, I thought Upwork would see a refund as an indicator of a negative experience with a client.

re: "Without having a clear understanding of the algorithm, I thought Upwork would see a refund as an indicator of a negative experience with a client."

I definitely don't blame you for wondering about this.

But now you know:

Upwork JSS calculations don't care one bit about refunds.

The thing that can hurt JSS is zero-pay contracts.

As far as I know... If you had a fixed-price contract for $1000, and then before you got started the client decided to back out... you could refund $999 and this wouldn't hurt JSS at all.

lysis10
Community Member

Benjamin W wrote:
Hello,

lol why not just do the work instead of going about this the hard way? like WAT????

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths