🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client accidentally requested refund instead ...
Page options
jokruk
Community Member

Client accidentally requested refund instead of releasing the rest of the funds in escrow.

Hi there, 

I just completed a fixed rate project with a client for $250.00.

We had one milestone which I completed for $100 (we had agreed on this). I completed the rest of the project work, sent the files to the client and he was very happy with them.

This client ended the contract and requested a refund by accident for the remaining amount $150 (he is new to upwork and got confused/I confirmed this with him).

What should I do? I went to refute the request but it recommends  "discussing with your client before filing a dispute. Clients have the ability to release partial payments."

Can he do this since the contract ended? 

Would anyone be able to give me instruction I can relay to him on how to pay me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Julie, 

Unfortunately, there's no option to cancel a refund request once it has been initiated. You as a freelancer can respond to it and decline by selecting the second option (I do not approve this request and want to file a dispute). This will then be sent to our Dispute Team. Your client will have the option to ask the team to cancel the refund request and close the dispute. Afterwards, your client can choose to send you a bonus payment, or re-hire you if there are still pending work to be finished.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Julie, 

Unfortunately, there's no option to cancel a refund request once it has been initiated. You as a freelancer can respond to it and decline by selecting the second option (I do not approve this request and want to file a dispute). This will then be sent to our Dispute Team. Your client will have the option to ask the team to cancel the refund request and close the dispute. Afterwards, your client can choose to send you a bonus payment, or re-hire you if there are still pending work to be finished.

~ Avery
Upwork
jokruk
Community Member

Thanks for shedding some light on this Avery! I'll go ahead and file then. 

I hope filing a dispute will not impact my job success rating? 

elastella
Community Member

What's up with the green frame (profile pic)? Is that some sort of new feature or DIY?

Lol

I was thinking the same.

jokruk
Community Member

Nope just DIY! haha

Woman LOL

elastella
Community Member

I am so going to steal this idea!

Ela K wrote:

I am so going to steal this idea!

I like it, it looks great!

You are a fast thief!

I think Julie's green is more "Upwork"?

Maybe Julie O should charge $ 0.15 for each "theft"
She would have for many connects Woman Wink

petra_r
Community Member

Julie O wrote:

I hope filing a dispute will not impact my job success rating? 

No, it will not.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members