🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client account got suspended.
Page options
kingsfield
Community Member

Client account got suspended.

I received an email that my client account has been suspended. We did agreed on a contract and deposit the Milestone inside the account.

I have done a three hour videographing for him and given him the footage, and have approved the final Milestone.

When I checked the transaction, the payment is still pending. So.. am I in the fixed protection program? Or I am not getting pay at all?

13 REPLIES 13
hassaan_siddique
Community Member

Dear Ting, 

If your payment is in the "Pending" tab in the Overview section of the reports then it means that the payment is waiting for clearance from the Upwork and has already been approved by the client. 

Screenshot_1.png

You don't have to worry!

Good Luck!

HS

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ting, 

Protection won't cover milestone payments in excess of the amount in escrow, funds from unverified payment methods, or additional amounts that are discussed or promised between you and your client. You may read this help article for more information about fixed-price protection.

~ Avery
Upwork
hoyle_editing
Community Member

i belive if the payment is in the "pending" section then the client has already paid the money to Upwork and they are just sitting on it to earn some interest before they let you have it 😉 so i would think it should be fine dont worry.

Jonathan H wrote:

i belive if the payment is in the "pending" section then the client has already paid the money to Upwork and they are just sitting on it to earn some interest before they let you have it 😉 so i would think it should be fine dont worry.

You believe wrong.

Really?? Thats how it always seems to work for me assuming the client has funded the milestone?

milestone funded - i.e. client has paid the money for the milestone to Upwork....

milestone approved - nothing has changed, Upwork still have the money and in addition also have approval from the client that milestone is satisfactory/complete so can release the funds to freelancer...

a week later (ish) - money is released to freelancer

(though i do realise and perhaps should have pointed out that if the milestone was not approved by client but you usbmitted request it will be 14 days before release, im not sure how that would be affected by the client being suspended though. i ASSUME id its pending all should be ok but not sure)

(i know its a little different with hourly jobs, i think 1 week to wait so client has a chance to flag any problems, then another week to wait while Upwork erm(earn interest?), then you receive payment?

Jonathan H wrote:

Really?? Thats how it always seems to work for me assuming the client has funded the milestone?

In cases of funded milestones, if the client's payment method was not verified, it's null and void.

In cases of hourly contracts money can seem to sit in pending although the client's payment method declined.

In cases of bonuses, expense payments, payments in excess of what was funded etc the money can seem to be paid and show in pending even if the client never paid.

In cases of fraud (stolen card etc) all bets are off.

The moderator's response contains a strong hint. Usually she'd just say that the funds are subject to the usual 5 day security hold. Instead she lists the situations where there is no protection, sothat, along with the client being suspended, hints at "there is a problem." -

Pay attention always to what people don't say. It tends to give away more than what they do say.

And Upwork do not earn interest on Escrow funds. Never has.

Pay attention always to what people don't say. It tends to give away more than what they do say.

Yes, i couldnt agree more....

In cases of funded milestones, if the client's payment method was not verified, it's null and void.

The OP (to which i was replying in the beginning says that the funds were deposited into the account. So, for that to have happened the payment method must be verified surely?(i had to verify payment when i was a client before depositing funds)

In cases of hourly contracts money can seem to sit in pending although the client's payment method declined.

No idea about this, i am under the impression this is a fixed type contract as the OP is talking about milestones - Having said that, handy info to know thanks.

In cases of bonuses, expense payments, payments in excess of what was funded etc the money can seem to be paid and show in pending even if the client never paid.

Agiain, not sure about this but the OP states that the money WAS funded and doesnt mention any extra payments.

Im sure they are - lets hope this is not the case (or sopmething anyone has to deal with). This subject is probably worthy of some research - who is responsible as upwork take the payment? a subject i think i shall read up on a little thanks 🙂

The moderator's response contains a strong hint. Usually she'd just say that the funds are subject to the usual 5 day security hold. Instead she lists the situations where there is no protection, so that, along with the client being suspended, hints at "there is a problem." -

And Upwork do not earn interest on Escrow funds. Never has.

Indeed, however i was reply to the OP not the moderator, in addition the mod did not say there was no protection but gave a fairly standard kind of response i would expect to come from a cs handbook.

(not saying its wrong, but i have given the OP my thoughts and experience)

as for Upwork not earning interest on funds, not really relevant, just a little quip. However i will agree to disagree on that one, i cant see Upwork holding funds in a 0% interest account can you? unless its because Upwork 'say' that they dont earn interest - in which case it must be true because a company would not lie (lets ignore VW and coutless other compaies that have scandals surrounding them). - and IF they genuinely dont, then who does? because someone has that money.

Jonathan H wrote:

The OP (to which i was replying in the beginning says that the funds were deposited into the account. So, for that to have happened the payment method must be verified surely?

No. Categorically not. The funds just can not be released until the payment method is verified.

Jonathan H wrote:

Agiain, not sure about this but the OP states that the money WAS funded and doesnt mention any extra payments.

Money was funded. He didn't say that all of it was.

Jonathan H wrote:

Im sure they are - lets hope this is not the case (or sopmething anyone has to deal with). This subject is probably worthy of some research - who is responsible as upwork take the payment?

The client's account is suspended. That means "something" went wrong.

As to who is responsible - it doesn't matter, if it was paid with a fraudulent or stolen payment method, the money goes back.

If that happens to any of us, even weeks or months after we have already withdrawn the money, and a bank pulls a chargeback, the money comes out of our Upwork accounts (except for protected, properly tracked hourly, which is protected.)

Jonathan H wrote:

as for Upwork not earning interest on funds, not really relevant, just a little quip. However i will agree to disagree on that one, i cant see Upwork holding funds in a 0% interest account can you? unless its because Upwork 'say' that they dont earn interest - in which case it must be true because a company would not lie...

So you are saying Upwork are lying about it over and over again. OK then....

I think it has more to do with Escrow regulations than anything else.

Petra R wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

The OP (to which i was replying in the beginning says that the funds were deposited into the account. So, for that to have happened the payment method must be verified surely?

No. Categorically not. The funds just can not be released until the payment method is verified.

OK, I dont profess to be an expert on this but i have posted 1 job as a client, and i can say that in order to do that (well, in order to hire someone) i had to....

1 VERIFY PAYMENT

2 DEPOSIT ENOUGH TO COVER THE MILESTONE

This was not long ago, my point is that you have to verify in order to deposit into the account. In fact i went through a bit of a debate with upwork as they charged my card more than they were supposed to in order to verify me - it wasnt much, but i was rather annoyed that they just took money without telling me first. The response from upwork was along the lines of - "we have to verify all clients in order to fund payment for the milestone"

Jonathan H wrote:

Money was funded. He didn't say that all of it was.

No, but he didnt say it wasnt either and if he was worried im sure that is not a point that would be missed - besides that, when i funded a milestone as a client i was required to fund the milestone - no option to only part fund it (maybe as it was low value, i dont know)

Jonathan H wrote:

Im sure they are - lets hope this is not the case (or sopmething anyone has to deal with). This subject is probably worthy of some research - who is responsible as upwork take the payment?

The client's account is suspended. That means "something" went wrong.

As to who is responsible - it doesn't matter, if it was paid with a fraudulent or stolen payment method, the money goes back.

If that happens to any of us, even weeks or months after we have already withdrawn the money, and a bank pulls a chargeback, the money comes out of our Upwork accounts (except for protected, properly tracked hourly, which is protected.)

I assume you have had this happen to you (or that its something very specific i have missed in the terms)? as once Upwork have paid  im not sure how we can be held responsible/have money deducted - as the payment is processed by Upwork and therefor they have a duty of care - or what are we paying all the fees for? 

Jonathan H wrote:

as for Upwork not earning interest on funds, not really relevant, just a little quip. However i will agree to disagree on that one, i cant see Upwork holding funds in a 0% interest account can you? unless its because Upwork 'say' that they dont earn interest - in which case it must be true because a company would not lie...

No, im not saying they are lying because i have not seen what they have suposedly said, BUT i am saying i think there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful if they are indicating they get no interest? where does the money go that they hold? it has to be somewhere? but, just my thoughts and maybe im wrong. I just cant see why they wouldnt? in fact even HOW they wouldnt?

EDITED TO ADD - just re-read your comment about possibly escrow regulations - sorry i missed that, i will look into it as im genuinely interested now haha. thanks. 

Jonathan H wrote:

OK, I dont profess to be an expert on this but i have posted 1 job as a client, and i can say that in order to do that (well, in order to hire someone) i had to....

1 VERIFY PAYMENT

No, you can hire and escrow is funded at the same time. You then have a window of time to verify your payment method, during which time the contract is open, the funds are in escrow, the freelancer is informed that the contract has started and funded, but the payment method is unverified at this point. This would not be the first time someone fell foul of this situation.

Jonathan H wrote:

(chargeback)

I assume you have had this happen to you (or that its something very specific i have missed in the terms)? as once Upwork have paid  im not sure how we can be held responsible/have money deducted -

It never happened to me, no, but it happens and has been discussed in the forum numerous times. Let me assure you that in the event of a chargeback that can not be defended (charges on hacked or stolen payment methods can not be) Upwork certainly does take the funds back from you (except for hourly contracts that qualify for the protection.) Much the same as your bank would, PayPal does, etc.

Jonathan H wrote:

No, im not saying they are lying because i have not seen what they have suposedly said, BUT i am saying i think there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful if they are indicating they get no interest?

OK, so you are stating (on a public forum) that "there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful"  ...that differs from lying, how, exactly?

Upwork have repeatedly confirmed year in year out that they do no. Such as yesterday, for example.

no interest.png

Petra R wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:

1 VERIFY PAYMENT

No, you can hire and escrow is funded at the same time. You then have a window of time to verify your payment method, during which time the contract is open, the funds are in escrow, the freelancer is informed that the contract has started and funded, but the payment method is unverified at this point. This would not be the first time someone fell foul of this situation.

well, i catagorically did not get this "option", as stated, i had a bit of a debate with Upwork over them charging my card to verify my account without asking. 

I must say, even if this is 'usually' the case i dont see how depositing funds is not verifying your payment anyway!

Jonathan H wrote:

(chargeback)

I assume you have had this happen to you (or that its something very specific i have missed in the terms)? as once Upwork have paid  im not sure how we can be held responsible/have money deducted -

It never happened to me, no, but it happens and has been discussed in the forum numerous times. Let me assure you that in the event of a chargeback that can not be defended (charges on hacked or stolen payment methods can not be) Upwork certainly does take the funds back from you (except for hourly contracts that qualify for the protection.) Much the same as your bank would, PayPal does, etc.

ok, well i will hope that never happens.

Jonathan H wrote:

No, im not saying they are lying because i have not seen what they have suposedly said, BUT i am saying i think there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful if they are indicating they get no interest?

OK, so you are stating (on a public forum) that "there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful"  ...that differs from lying, how, exactly?

Upwork have repeatedly confirmed year in year out that they do no. Such as yesterday, for example.

no interest.png

yes, this is a public forum correct. 

it differs because me saying "they are lying" is insinuating exacting facts whereas me saying....

"I think there is a high probability" insinuates its my opinion which is by no means fact, just opinion. 

Having said that, i did acknowledge your point about "escrow regulations" indicating that i am happy to admit that i am mistaken if that is indeed the case.

Anyway, I think we have somewhat drifted from the OP's original question, and i 'should' be using this time to find some more work instead of procrastinating here Smiley LOL

Jon

Jonathan H wrote:

i dont see how depositing funds is not verifying your payment anyway!

The verification confirms that at least you have access to the account the payment method is linked to and didn't just find a card in the street.

Depositing the funds simply means someone has a card that can be charged, not that it is their card or they have the right to use it.

Jonathan H wrote:

[...]

as for Upwork not earning interest on funds, not really relevant, just a little quip. However i will agree to disagree on that one, i cant see Upwork holding funds in a 0% interest account can you? unless its because Upwork 'say' that they dont earn interest - in which case it must be true because a company would not lie (lets ignore VW and coutless other compaies that have scandals surrounding them). - and IF they genuinely dont, then who does? because someone has that money.

Upwork does not accrue interest on escrow payments. 

Upwork Escrow Inc.
               Version 1.0  (Current)             
Effective September 1, 2016Download

Upwork Escrow Inc. provides escrow services solely to Users of Upwork and Elance. We provide these escrow services solely to deliver, hold, or receive payment for jobs for services engaged through, and to pay fees including service, membership and payment processing and administration fees to, Upwork. These escrow services are intended for business use, and the Users agree to use these escrow services only for business purposes and not for consumer, personal, family, or household purposes.
UPWORK ESCROW INC. DOES NOT PROVIDE ESCROW SERVICES TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
This escrow company holds California Department of Business Oversight License No. 963 5086.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths