Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Client account got suspended.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 14

Jonathan H wrote:



OK, I dont profess to be an expert on this but i have posted 1 job as a client, and i can say that in order to do that (well, in order to hire someone) i had to....

 

1 VERIFY PAYMENT

2 DEPOSIT ENOUGH TO COVER THE MILESTONE


No, you can hire and escrow is funded at the same time. You then have a window of time to verify your payment method, during which time the contract is open, the funds are in escrow, the freelancer is informed that the contract has started and funded, but the payment method is unverified at this point. This would not be the first time someone fell foul of this situation.

 


Jonathan H wrote:

(chargeback)

I assume you have had this happen to you (or that its something very specific i have missed in the terms)? as once Upwork have paid  im not sure how we can be held responsible/have money deducted -


It never happened to me, no, but it happens and has been discussed in the forum numerous times. Let me assure you that in the event of a chargeback that can not be defended (charges on hacked or stolen payment methods can not be) Upwork certainly does take the funds back from you (except for hourly contracts that qualify for the protection.) Much the same as your bank would, PayPal does, etc.

 


Jonathan H wrote:

 



So you are saying Upwork are lying about it over and over again. OK then....

I think it has more to do with Escrow regulations than anything else.


No, im not saying they are lying because i have not seen what they have suposedly said, BUT i am saying i think there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful if they are indicating they get no interest?


OK, so you are stating (on a public forum) that "there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful"  ...that differs from lying, how, exactly?

 

Upwork have repeatedly confirmed year in year out that they do no. Such as yesterday, for example.

 

no interest.png

 

 

 

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
12 of 14

Petra R wrote:

Jonathan H wrote:



OK, I dont profess to be an expert on this but i have posted 1 job as a client, and i can say that in order to do that (well, in order to hire someone) i had to....

 

1 VERIFY PAYMENT

2 DEPOSIT ENOUGH TO COVER THE MILESTONE


No, you can hire and escrow is funded at the same time. You then have a window of time to verify your payment method, during which time the contract is open, the funds are in escrow, the freelancer is informed that the contract has started and funded, but the payment method is unverified at this point. This would not be the first time someone fell foul of this situation.

 

well, i catagorically did not get this "option", as stated, i had a bit of a debate with Upwork over them charging my card to verify my account without asking. 

I must say, even if this is 'usually' the case i dont see how depositing funds is not verifying your payment anyway!

 


Jonathan H wrote:

(chargeback)

I assume you have had this happen to you (or that its something very specific i have missed in the terms)? as once Upwork have paid  im not sure how we can be held responsible/have money deducted -


It never happened to me, no, but it happens and has been discussed in the forum numerous times. Let me assure you that in the event of a chargeback that can not be defended (charges on hacked or stolen payment methods can not be) Upwork certainly does take the funds back from you (except for hourly contracts that qualify for the protection.) Much the same as your bank would, PayPal does, etc.

 

ok, well i will hope that never happens.

 


Jonathan H wrote:

 



So you are saying Upwork are lying about it over and over again. OK then....

I think it has more to do with Escrow regulations than anything else.


No, im not saying they are lying because i have not seen what they have suposedly said, BUT i am saying i think there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful if they are indicating they get no interest?


OK, so you are stating (on a public forum) that "there is a high probability they are not being entriely truthful"  ...that differs from lying, how, exactly?

 

Upwork have repeatedly confirmed year in year out that they do no. Such as yesterday, for example.

 

no interest.png

 

 

yes, this is a public forum correct. 

it differs because me saying "they are lying" is insinuating exacting facts whereas me saying....

"I think there is a high probability" insinuates its my opinion which is by no means fact, just opinion. 

Having said that, i did acknowledge your point about "escrow regulations" indicating that i am happy to admit that i am mistaken if that is indeed the case.

 


Anyway, I think we have somewhat drifted from the OP's original question, and i 'should' be using this time to find some more work instead of procrastinating here Smiley LOL

 

Jon

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 14

Jonathan H wrote:

i dont see how depositing funds is not verifying your payment anyway!

 


The verification confirms that at least you have access to the account the payment method is linked to and didn't just find a card in the street.

 

Depositing the funds simply means someone has a card that can be charged, not that it is their card or they have the right to use it.

 

 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
14 of 14

Jonathan H wrote:

 

[...]

as for Upwork not earning interest on funds, not really relevant, just a little quip. However i will agree to disagree on that one, i cant see Upwork holding funds in a 0% interest account can you? unless its because Upwork 'say' that they dont earn interest - in which case it must be true because a company would not lie (lets ignore VW and coutless other compaies that have scandals surrounding them). - and IF they genuinely dont, then who does? because someone has that money.

________________________

 

Upwork does not accrue interest on escrow payments. 

Upwork Escrow Inc.
               Version 1.0  (Current)             
Effective September 1, 2016Download

Upwork Escrow Inc. provides escrow services solely to Users of Upwork and Elance. We provide these escrow services solely to deliver, hold, or receive payment for jobs for services engaged through, and to pay fees including service, membership and payment processing and administration fees to, Upwork. These escrow services are intended for business use, and the Users agree to use these escrow services only for business purposes and not for consumer, personal, family, or household purposes.
UPWORK ESCROW INC. DOES NOT PROVIDE ESCROW SERVICES TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
This escrow company holds California Department of Business Oversight License No. 963 5086.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS