cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client activity on this job ´hires´

Kate M Member Since: Sep 27, 2014
1 of 12
I´m new to oDesk and I would like a bit of advice on reading job postings. Under the Client Activity on this job section, there is a section that says Hires. What does this mean? Does this mean they have already hired someone for the job? If so why is the job still up on the website. There are plenty of jobs up right now that I am suitable for that say Hires: 1, for example. I figure I would be wasting my time applying for these jobs so haven´t been applying, but I don´t want to miss out on any opportunities. I´m a bit confused because the system seems strange.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 12
Hi Kate, Sometimes clients need to hire more then one person for the same contract. They can choose if they want to hire one freelancer or more when they create that job posting. Thank you.
~ Valeria
Untitled
David M Member Since: Sep 27, 2016
3 of 12

So, Valeria, if it says "Hires: 1," it means that in fact the client has already hired one person? Or does it just mean that there is only one open position?

I've also seen that instead of "HIres:" it might say "Hired:" What's the diference in this case?

@Valeria K wrote:
Hi Kate, Sometimes clients need to hire more then one person for the same contract. They can choose if they want to hire one freelancer or more when they create that job posting. Thank you.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 12

Hi David,

Hires under Client's activity on the job means the number of freelancers the client has already hired for the job.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Susan B Member Since: Mar 28, 2009
5 of 12
Yes, it may not be closed out because the client is looking to hire multiple freelancers, but it's more likely that they just didn't close the job. I'm a freelancer here, but have also posted a few jobs and I just never got around to closing them even when I hired someone. So chances are that the client is set. If you have a limited number of applications, you should probably stay away from these. But if you have applications to spare and the job seems like a perfect fit - go for it. I'll do that and say something like "It looks like you've already hired someone for the job, but in case you don't get your desired outcome or decide on a different direction for the project, I thought I'd go ahead and apply." Or just say that I'd like to get on their radar for future projects.
Lei D Member Since: Mar 5, 2017
6 of 12

Useful reply, thanks

Kristen P Member Since: Jul 5, 2019
7 of 12

This doesn't seem like a good way to run the Upwork site. Wasting time and connects when someone has already been hired is not kind to the freelancers. Perhaps they want to make it look like they have more jobs on the site than they really do?

A notice of some sort would be nice! I will keep an eye out for the "hires" from now on!

Gaurav K Member Since: Sep 20, 2019
8 of 12

you are right.

this site sawoff its content and it way they make extra income by purchasing the connection.

Because evryone sped his/her connection on feed's job and they waste his/her connection point.

so this is the worthless sysytem and these will no longer work in freelancing world.

Ace Contributor
Bud S Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
9 of 12

Sometimes the first person they hire does poor work. Then the client will hire yet another freelancer under the same job posting. Nothing is wrong with that. I've been hired several times like that, as the 2nd hire, probably because I was not the lowest bidder.

Hamza S Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
10 of 12

i want to now if clint says start working on the project if i was not online so how can i now submit my projet .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS