cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client approves 1st milestone, then rejects 2nd milestone. Refuses to pay.

futuretro
Ace Contributor
Irving O Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
1 of 34

Hi everyone, I hope to get some advice from experienced Upworkers on my recent issue:

1. I'm working on a project with 2 milestones
  2. For each milestone, I have to deliver 2 written articles (product descriptions). In total 4 articles.
  3. Before project commencement, I requested product specifications from the client. His original instruction was to use the existing content on his website, which was very limited. 
  4. Client replies that he doesn't have any product specs. So I respond and let him know that I will do the best I can. 
  5. I sent him the 2 articles for the first milestone. He approved, and I quote his reply "Thank you for the descriptions. You did a great job so far".
  6. I proceeded with the 2nd milestone, and sent him 2 further articles.
  7. His response to the 2nd milestone: work is terrible, content is poor, wrong product attributes. He refuses to pay for the 2nd milestone and requests that I rewrite them.

I haven't replied to the client. But my stance is this:

1. The articles were written to the same standards as the 1st milestone, so I don't understand his complaint regarding my style.
  2. Without a product spec sheet and an actual product, I can only work with what limited information I have. If he wanted a precise product description, then a point-by-point spec sheet should have been provided.
  3. Rewriting the article is going to cost me time and for the rate I am charging, it is simply not worth it.

Folks, what would you advice I do? I feel I should be paid for my work.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 34

@Irving O wrote:

Hi everyone, I hope to get some advice from experienced Upworkers on my recent issue:

1. I'm working on a project with 2 milestones
  2. For each milestone, I have to deliver 2 written articles (product descriptions). In total 4 articles.
  3. Before project commencement, I requested product specifications from the client. His original instruction was to use the existing content on his website, which was very limited. 
  4. Client replies that he doesn't have any product specs. So I respond and let him know that I will do the best I can. 
  5. I sent him the 2 articles for the first milestone. He approved, and I quote his reply "Thank you for the descriptions. You did a great job so far".
  6. I proceeded with the 2nd milestone, and sent him 2 further articles.
  7. His response to the 2nd milestone: work is terrible, content is poor, wrong product attributes. He refuses to pay for the 2nd milestone and requests that I rewrite them.

I haven't replied to the client. But my stance is this:

1. The articles were written to the same standards as the 1st milestone, so I don't understand his complaint regarding my style.
  2. Without a product spec sheet and an actual product, I can only work with what limited information I have. If he wanted a precise product description, then a point-by-point spec sheet should have been provided.
  3. Rewriting the article is going to cost me time and for the rate I am charging, it is simply not worth it.

Folks, what would you advice I do? I feel I should be paid for my work.

Presumably, you didn't start working on the second milestone until it was funded, correct? And hopefully, you specified the number of revisions included when you wrote your bid.

These are the things that help you out in situations such as this. And if you're charging peanuts, you'll attract clients like this.

I would suggest to offer one more round that will hopefully satisfy the client, but only if he has funded that second milestone.

futuretro
Ace Contributor
3 of 34

Thanks Virginia, I made sure that both milestones were funded before I commenced.

I always make sure to check on clients before accepting a project, and that milestones are funded before I commenced work.

I'd be happy to do one minor revision if the original content was not up to his expectations. But I provided the second milestone to the same quality as the first, to the extent that the client praised the first milestone. (To be clear, I did not specify that I'll be providing revisions. None of my clients ever need a rewrite because I don't skimp on quality)

What he is requesting is a complete rewrite.

quijibo
Community Guru
Alexander F Member Since: Mar 10, 2017
4 of 34

So?

If for some reason a client told me that my work wasn't good enough and asked me to do it again I would do it without thinking it twice. It's the professional thing to do. You are not doing them a favor, you are getting paid for it.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 34

Then if you clicked the "get paid" button when you submitted the second piece, all you have to do is sit back and wait 14 days, and the milestone will be released - if the pay is peanuts, I imagine the client won't raise a fuss.

futuretro
Ace Contributor
6 of 34

The client requested for a revision through the system so the button has now been switched to "Resubmit".

Assuming if I explain to the client that I'll have to charge for a rewrite and he's not agreeable, what happens then to the 2nd funded milestone?

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
7 of 34

Hi Irving,

Either you messed up, or he’s trying to get away without paying you.

As long you used the “Submit” option (and the milestone was funded), you will get paid as the escrowed amount is guaranteed by Upwork, even though he can delay the release of funds (unless the client does something really nasty such as a chargeback).

You concern should be in regards to the feedback (particularly the private one) that the client will provide.

As your profile is inaccessible, we can’t see if you are a top-rated freelancer.

If you are a top-rated freelancer, subject to some conditions, you can choose to have the feedback removed.

Remain cool and professional with that client to limit the damage to your JSS

"Certa bonum certamen"
futuretro
Ace Contributor
8 of 34

Thanks Ravindra, I limited my profile so only logged in Upwork members can view it.

I'm top-rated and have a 100% JSS since 2015. Part of my concern is if this ends up as a dispute. I wasn't aware that top-rated freelancers can choose to remove a feedback (hence protecting the JSS).

So to clarify, if I inform the client that his request for a free rewrite is not reasonable (even though he requested a rework through the system), Upwork will continue to release the funds after 14 days?

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
9 of 34

@Irving O wrote:

Thanks Ravindra, I limited my profile so only logged in Upwork members can view it.

I'm top-rated and have a 100% JSS since 2015. Part of my concern is if this ends up as a dispute. I wasn't aware that top-rated freelancers can choose to remove a feedback (hence protecting the JSS).

So to clarify, if I inform the client that his request for a free rewrite is not reasonable (even though he requested a rework through the system), Upwork will continue to release the funds after 14 days?

Irving,

See this for more info: Top Rated Perk: Feedback Removal.

The client can at best delay a few times or file a dispute. If he’s out of line, he will in all probability shy away and either release the funds or renegotiate.

"Certa bonum certamen"
futuretro
Ace Contributor
10 of 34

Thanks again Ravindra for the link. It'll come in handy for me in future. Bookmarked!

I'll wait for more community feedback, if any, before I respond to the client. Hopefully more writers can chime in based on their experience and the best way forward.

From my perspective, the 2nd milestone was completed to project specifications and benchmarked to the 1st milestone, so a complete rewrite is out of line.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS