cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client approves 1st milestone, then rejects 2nd milestone. Refuses to pay.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 34

How much time are we talking about to rewrite it?

How much money is the 2nd milestone worth?

futuretro
Ace Contributor
Irving O Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
12 of 34

1st milestone was $80 – this was approved.

2nd milestone is $75. It's at least a day's work, and putting other projects on hold to deal with this.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 34

@Irving O wrote:

1st milestone was $80 – this was approved.

2nd milestone is $75. It's at least a day's work, and putting other projects on hold to deal with this.

It is NOT worth the time, hassle, and energy to argue over this.

How big an article is it to take "at least a day?"

The client's history gives no hint at this being a "problem client" by the way. I think we are looking at a case of miscommunication here...

Personally I would either rewrite it or just tell the client that I'm sorry I could not produce what he wanted with the info available, end the contract and let him have the $ 75.

futuretro
Ace Contributor
14 of 34

I agree, but there isn't enough information or any manufacturer spec sheet for me to work with. 

I can only work with the limited information available on the client's existing website to formulate a product description to the best of my ability.

It's not that I don't want to consider the idea of a revision, but a rewrite is just asking for something outside of what I can do. Frankly, I'm willing to consider not taking the funds for the 2nd milestone. Smiley Happy

It's a catch 22: too much of a hassle for a dispute and not worth the time, yet a freelancer should be paid if they deliver a milestone. 

I'll probably just let the client know that a substantial rewrite is not possible given what was agreed. If he doesn't wish to release escrow, then I'll just let him have the article for free. Karma!

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
15 of 34

@Irving O wrote:

I agree, but there isn't enough information or any manufacturer spec sheet for me to work with. 

I can only work with the limited information available on the client's existing website to formulate a product description to the best of my ability.

It's not that I don't want to consider the idea of a revision, but a rewrite is just asking for something outside of what I can do. Frankly, I'm willing to consider not taking the funds for the 2nd milestone. Smiley Happy

It's a catch 22: too much of a hassle for a dispute and not worth the time, yet a freelancer should be paid if they deliver a milestone. 

I'll probably just let the client know that a substantial rewrite is not possible given what was agreed. If he doesn't wish to release escrow, then I'll just let him have the article for free. Karma!

That will be bad Karma for all freelancers.

"Certa bonum certamen"
futuretro
Ace Contributor
16 of 34

I replied to the client. If he doesn't wish to release payment, I'll file a dispute with Upwork.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
17 of 34

@Irving O wrote:

I replied to the client. If he doesn't wish to release payment, I'll file a dispute with Upwork.

Don't rush him. Give him time (the 14 days).

Meanwhile, move on to other work; stay busy. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
futuretro
Ace Contributor
18 of 34

I know, the ball's in his court now.

KIV-ing this and moving on to other projects. Thanks for your advice.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
19 of 34

@Irving O wrote:

I know, the ball's in his court now.

KIV-ing this and moving on to other projects. Thanks for your advice.

01_Thumbs_up.png

"Certa bonum certamen"
futuretro
Ace Contributor
20 of 34

This just got interesting. Now the client is accusing me of sabotaging his business by reporting him (outside of Upwork). -facepalm-

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS