🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ask Phone number
Page options
sruthivs
Community Member

Client ask Phone number

Hi,

My client ask my phone number. Is it violation in Upwork? Some clients also ask email address. I have found that sharing contact information is violation. Can I share files with jumbo mail? I am afraid that if sharing email id and phone number will cause suspension of account.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Sruthi,

If a client asks you for your contact information, please let them know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
JoanneP

Hi Sruthi,

If a client asks you for your contact information, please let them know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
sruthivs
Community Member

Thank you Joanne, We have started contract and completed 2 milestones. After that client ask the phone number. Please advise.

Hi Sruthi,

Once a contract is in place you may use any communication methods you choose. However, we find that when users communicate outside of Upwork there is an increased risk of fraud, scam, and other harmful behaviors. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result, the potential for these harmful behaviors decreases dramatically. For example, the vast majority of scammers that successfully take advantage of the talent on Upwork do so by going off the platform. To learn more about staying safe on Upwork, click here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
sruthivs
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

Thank you so much for the reply. I have completed 2 milestones of the same client. He is very friendly. He ask me to do work without creating milestone. I have told him many times to create milestone. But he didn't reply. He ask me to complete half of the work then he will check and if the work is ok he will create milestone. Huge amount of files in his work. Please advise.

re: "I have completed 2 milestones of the same client. He is very friendly. He ask me to do work without creating milestone. I have told him many times to create milestone. But he didn't reply. He ask me to complete half of the work then he will check and if the work is ok he will create milestone. Huge amount of files in his work. Please advise."

This client is playing games.

He DOES NOT WANT YOU to do this work.

If the client really wants you to do the work, then he creates a milestone for the task and he fully funds the milestone.

If he funds the milestone, then do the work.

If he doesn't fund the milestone, don't do the work.

re: "He ask me to complete half of the work then he will check and if the work is ok he will create milestone."

Maybe he will buy me a magical unicorn which flies and delivers happiness candy canes to all the children of the world.

Thank you so much Preston.

Sruthi v wrote:

Hi Joanne,

Thank you so much for the reply. I have completed 2 milestones of the same client. He is very friendly. He ask me to do work without creating milestone. I have told him many times to create milestone. But he didn't reply. He ask me to complete half of the work then he will check and if the work is ok he will create milestone. Huge amount of files in his work. Please advise.

Hi Sruthi,

If you have already done other work for this client (you speak of two milestones), he already knows how you work and it seems that he is happy with your work.
That being said, DO NOT KEEP WORKING FOR HIM until you have the milestone funded.
It is not the way to work here. For a fixed price job, you don't work until the milestone is funded. You risk that with that "half of work", he decides that he has enough and leaves you without money.

It's hard to get tough on clients, but you have to stand up for your part.
Tell him that your work is advanced, but that you won't send him anything until he finances a milestone. If you are going to send him "half" work, let him finance half a milestone.
But don't send anything without it. We don't want to see you hanging around here complaining that a "lovely" customer has cheated on you.

So, plant yourself and keep asking for the financing.
Good luck!

Hi Maria,

Thank you so much for the reply. Really helpful advise.Smiley Happy

b709cf80
Community Member

I am dealing with this too. They want me to text or call someone for an interview

Hi Stacy,

Please know that this isn't allowed. If a client asks you for your contact information, please let them know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. You may report this to us by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
e9cc1a92
Community Member

I assume that calling via zoom using the upwork website would protect me? I have a potential new client asking for my phone number, which I am frankly reluctant to hand over as I do NOT want to be contactable at all hours, and I also want my work to be protected through this platform. That is the freedom of freelance work after all, that calls will be scheduled at a time to suit us both right?

Cathy B wrote:

I assume that calling via zoom using the upwork website would protect me? I have a potential new client asking for my phone number, which I am frankly reluctant to hand over as I do NOT want to be contactable at all hours, and I also want my work to be protected through this platform. That is the freedom of freelance work after all, that calls will be scheduled at a time to suit us both right?

Yes, if you use the ZOOM function built into the message room, no problem.
Until you have a contract, keep all communications within Upwork.

And for more security, you should read the TOS.

A client has contacted me to submit my proposal. After doing so they told me they were interested and want me to call a certain number and speak to an individual to schedule an interview is this allowed?
petra_r
Community Member

Stacy O wrote:
A client has contacted me to submit my proposal. After doing so they told me they were interested and want me to call a certain number and speak to an individual to schedule an interview is this allowed?

No, it isn't. Until you are hired, you are not allowed to communicate with a client outside the platform.

2e395a62
Community Member

From my short experience on UpWork, there is really no reason for the client to use any means of communication other than these implemented in the platform. The only reason to switch to email would be if tons of gigabytes of data need to be exchanged, but this would likely happen only once the contract is in place. I've exchanged everything here so far, held zoom meetings which work perfectly well as a substitute for phone number sharing (you can just disable video capture) - there is really NO point whatsoever to take communication outside of UpWork. As much as I see lots of other areas of improvement for UpWork, I have to admit that UpWork did a great job facilitating the communication between clients and freelancers right here, on the platform. Well done. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members