🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ask for availability for Skype call be...
Page options
cd9b1ca3
Community Member

Client ask for availability for Skype call before hiring

Hi there 

I am new here on Upwork. Today I received a message from the client before hiring. For an interview, please contact us via Skype audio and they also share contact information (Skype ID). In response, I agree because I am new and didn't know what to do. But when I receive a popup message from the Upwork team, please stay all your communication inside Upwork. Then I promptly respond to the client that we have both audio and video conversation facilities within Upwork. Would you mind if we can avail this facility and don't go against Upwork TOS? Please guide me in this regard. Going for a Skype call is against Upwork TOS or not? What should I do? Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Muhammad - I am glad that you asked before you move any further.
Going for a Skype call is against Upwork TOS or not?
Yes, It IS against Upwork's TOS.

What should I do? 

Please inform your client that you may use Upwork's integrated Zoom Function as a temporary alternative to Skype until you have a contract in place. If He/She disagreed for ANY reason, just Flag/Report them and Move on.

Also, please be noted that this can be a Scam because many Scammers target new freelancers to scam them this exact way.

I hope this helps,

Youssef

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Muhammad - I am glad that you asked before you move any further.
Going for a Skype call is against Upwork TOS or not?
Yes, It IS against Upwork's TOS.

What should I do? 

Please inform your client that you may use Upwork's integrated Zoom Function as a temporary alternative to Skype until you have a contract in place. If He/She disagreed for ANY reason, just Flag/Report them and Move on.

Also, please be noted that this can be a Scam because many Scammers target new freelancers to scam them this exact way.

I hope this helps,

Youssef

Thank you, Youssef

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Total scam. And if you received a popup message from the Upwork team saying to please keep all your communication inside Upwork, that is AWESOME because it shows they are working to stop this from happening. Please read this to stay safe: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you, Peter. I will definitely read the reference material you share.

Unfortunately, the pop-up referenced has been there for ages. Whenever anything like an outside contact is mentioned, the message is shown. It has nothing to do with the scams. I have asked repeatedly if the same filters used here and in the chat could be applied to the job posts. Of course, there is the "we are working on it" response or nothing at all.

Jeanne H wrote:

Unfortunately, the pop-up referenced has been there for ages.

Not true. They did away with them ages ago and just recently brought them back.

Jeanne H wrote: Whenever anything like an outside contact is mentioned, the message is shown.

That used to be the case, but was discontinued until it was brought back literally days ago.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members