🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ask for my ID after sending an offer
Page options
ce1e3f16
Community Member

Client ask for my ID after sending an offer

A client of mine sent me an offer after I applied for the job. Client said "as we have noticed that there are some fake profiles of people who have no or few Upwork jobs yet, we need a photo of your ID (just taken with your smartphone; you can hide parts of it, but we need to see at least your name and picture). It would also be helpful if you provide a link to an online reference you have (social media like Linkedin or other)"

Am I breaking the Upwork ToS if I send a covered up ID to them? Should I just tell them that I have the ID verified checkmark so there's no need to the ID check?

Update: 
I told the client that I have the ID verified checkmark but he insists that I need to show him a picture of my ID...I don't know what to do

3 REPLIES 3
ce1e3f16
Community Member

Update: 

I told the client that I have the ID verified checkmark but he insists that I need to show him a picture of my ID...I don't know what to do

yofazza
Community Member

Giving ID isn't prohibited, but I won't do it unless I trust the client and 100% understand what it's going to be used for.

So no on this one.

sajal36
Community Member

I believe it is a difficult question to answer. However you can always refer to other community discussion to get specific details related to your issue. Please refer this discussion Client asking for Id  Client asking for ID  to take informed decision.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members