🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client ask me for my WhatsApp number!
Page options
sana_jehanzaeb
Community Member

Client ask me for my WhatsApp number!

Hi, yesterday I got an invitation for job, a client from**Edited for Community Guidelines**. After submitting my proposal he asked me for my WhatsApp number for interview calls. When gave him my number, just after that I got email from upwork that the job has been closed! I'm just a bit nervous that why he took my number? Can it have any impact on my profile or privacy issues? Please answer!

Sana
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sana,

Our team has already taken proper actions regarding the client and their job post. You can always use our flagging option as well to report any violations of TOS or suspicious activities. To learn more about this, check out this help article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sana,

Please keep in mind that communicating outside of Upwork before you're hired on an official contract is a violation of our TOS.
Once you're hired on an official contract you and your client can communicate via another method as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes, same thing I asked the client that we can communicate on upwork! But he said that we need to call via WhatsApp. Can upwork take any action against this client? As the client violate upwork policy! 

Sana

Hi Sana,

Our team has already taken proper actions regarding the client and their job post. You can always use our flagging option as well to report any violations of TOS or suspicious activities. To learn more about this, check out this help article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Sana J wrote:

Yes, same thing I asked the client that we can communicate on upwork! But he said that we need to call via WhatsApp. Can upwork take any action against this client? As the client violate upwork policy! 

You also violated the upwork policy. A client can't violate it unless you do the same. 

Don't do that. 

sana_jehanzaeb
Community Member

Thanks a lot!

Sana
d36ca57f
Community Member

This happened to me too just now. 2 different clients, one asked for my whatsapp and the other asked for telegram. I withdrew my proposals after reading this forum.

You did the right thing, both by turning them down, and by talking about it here. You should flag them too, if you haven't already. And you can expect to keep running into a boatload more of them.

e1ebf870
Community Member

Hello

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths