Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asked for IP address??

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lynne P Member Since: Feb 28, 2013
1 of 11

Hi, and Happy Friday! I had a client make an odd request today, and I'm wondering if anyone else has ever encountered this. The client wants the IP address of my computer, ostensibly to ensure that his Google Analytics are as accurate as possible. Is this a legitimate thing? I spoke with someone today who advised me not to do this, because if I am hacked, the hacker can then say that I gave him the information. This makes sense, considering that he can access this information fairly easily on his own, and it's pretty unnecessary to request it. I contacted Upwork Support about the request, and am waiting for a reply, but I'd love some advice before the request is repeated.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Internal traffic can cause havoc with Google Analytics. Most companies want to filter out the traffic that is employees or others that are going to access the site on a regular basis. IP filtering with Google analytics is one way to do this.

There are a lot of reasons to want an IP address if you are trying to work out a strategy with Google analytics and your budget. 

Ace Contributor
Michael M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
3 of 11

If that's true, then it makes sense, check tour clients pofile, if they've worked with other freelancers successfully in the past, they are probably trustworthy.

Ace Contributor
Michael M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
4 of 11

I wouldn't give it to him, I don't know how someone could hack into your computer via an IP adress(I don't think it's possible with that alone), but I also don't know how your IP address could possibly affect his analytics to a large enough degree to meaningfully affect whatever the data is.

Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
5 of 11

I wouldn't be worried about this either. If you have a firewall and a password to your computer account, then chances are slim that anything can happen to your machine.

Besides, obtaining your IP would be rather easy for your client - the fact that he is asking you openly for your ip address shows that he lacks the knowledge to do anything harmful.

Any website you visit knows your ip address, any skype contact can easily obtain your ip, it's really not that big of a deal. And giving out your ip is entirely different than allowing someone to access your computer. "the hacker can then say that I gave him the information" And when someone asks you for your name and they start ordering goods from amazon in your name, would they be able to say "But she gave out her information"? I doubt it. Smiley Wink

Ace Contributor
Cody L Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
6 of 11

I won't worry about it. Your computer is probably connected to the Internet via router. If so, NAT (Network Address Translation, this means your actual computer IP is not the same as your public IP--the one he is asking, and the one of interest in filtering Analytics traffic) is working in your favor. In addition, most modern routers today also have a firewall. This means that the intruder would have to pass through two firewalls (the router's and your computer's).

If a client would want to hack into your system, the path they'd more likely choose would be sending you a Word or Excel document with VBA macros. Those are what you should be more wary of. Those have more potential of causing damage than your IP address in the client's hands.

----------------------------------------D======
Come to the dork side... we have candies.
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
7 of 11

Times I'm glad to be on the forums! I'm learning a lot...

Thanks Lynne for your question.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 11

It is perfectly safe to supply a client with your IP address, and there a number of reasons for the client wanting that information.

Ace Contributor
Lynne P Member Since: Feb 28, 2013
9 of 11

Thanks to all for your comments, suggestions, and advice. You've been really helpful! I will mull this over.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 11

I'd give it to him too, but if a few dozen visits from you is messing up his analytics, his site is dead.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS