🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asked for Security Deposit to Skrill o...
Page options
fdff97aa
Community Member

Client asked for Security Deposit to Skrill or NETELLER account

Hi,
I’m a new freelancer and just recently submitted a proposal to one of the clients.
We’re almost done with the agreement and he asked me to send him an email so I did.

He replied asking me to deposit $5 in his Skrill or Neteller account as a security deposit that I will do the job.

This is a suspicious email so I’m sharing with you the screenshots.

Hope you can investigate and ban the client if it’s a scam. Thanks!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
wescowley
Community Member

Yes, it's a scam. You can report the job from the link at the top right of the job post.

petra_r
Community Member

Claribeth G wrote:

This is a suspicious email so I’m sharing with you the screenshots.

Please also bear in mind that you are not allowed to communicate with a client over email until you have been hired.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Claribeth:
Thanks for reporting this.

Fortunately you are too smart for those scammers.

Obviously freelancers come here to EARN money, not to PAY money to clients.

I have completed 270 jobs. I never PAID money to any client in order to start working for them.

Not only is that illogical... it's simply not allowed.

And think about it... If YOU were hiring somebody to work for you... For example, if you hired a painter to paint the fence around your house... Would you ask the painter for money before he started? Or would you yourself purchase all of the paint needed, and make sure he had confidence that you were planning to pay him? You might even pay him some money up front to get started.

NikolaS

Hi Claribeth,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I will escalate and provide information to the correct team for further investigation and they will take action as per our internal processes.

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members