🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asked for a refund on ended contra...
Page options
1f405438
Community Member

Client asked for a refund on ended contract

I did a work for a client , submitted it and made sure I did all necessary work. He came back asking me to do several corrections which I did , still he’s not satisfied… he’s asking for a refund on an ended contract and I don’t want to give a refund… what can I do?
I asked him if he would also like me to do anything on the work , he didn’t answer… please see to this…
14 REPLIES 14
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "he’s asking for a refund on an ended contract and I don’t want to give a refund… what can I do?"

He has ALREADY paid you.

Has he ALREADY given you feedback?

If so, then he can't change his feedback for you regardless of what you do.

You can politely decline to give him a refund.

Yes he has already paid me , Infact the contract has ended , now I asked him what he wants me to do concerning the project, he said another thing which I did immediately… he still wants me to issue a refund… I don’t want to as I worked on that project a lot , spent a lot of time…. Made all corrections as requested by him without arguing… proved to him that work I did is an high quality job… what can I do?
I don’t want to lose my profile , I don’t want my efforts to be wasted… I hope this can be resolved

Ifemayowa:

You are dealing with a bad person.

Neverthless, you must remain polite and professional in all of your communication.

I do NOT believe you should be offering to do more work for him.

It is against Upwork ToS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

You don't owe this person anything.

Please answer these questions:

a) Was this a fixed-price or hourly contract?

b) Did YOU close the contract, or did the CLIENT close this contract?

c) Have you already navigated to your Contracts listing, and clicked on the name of this contract and LOOKED AT the feedback that he left for you?

Thanks for your prompt reply…
It was a fixed contract
He closed the contract and left a good feedback
Yes I even made a screenshot of the feedback he left for me… I don’t know what to do again, I’m scared as I don’t want my account to be gone… I have worked a lot on that project and I don’t want to issue a refund… even if I’m going to issue , I would issue 40% of the money…. I don’t want to have any issue with him that would Tamper with my profile…. What can I do ?
petra_r
Community Member

Ifemayowa O wrote:
I don’t want to lose my profile , I don’t want my efforts to be wasted… I hope this can be resolved

You need to change something about the way you are working on Upwork. You have too many unhappy clients and as a consequence your JSS is very, very low. 

Whilst I agree with Preston to a degree that clients generally ask for refunds inappropriately, I can help but see some red flags on your profile which would likely be the root cause of low client satisfaction (which led to the low JSS and situations such as this one).

As far as this contract is concerned, the client can dispute up to 30 days after the last milestone has been paid out if it was a fixed rate contract. If the contract was hourly, the client can only dispute during the 5 days following the work-week.

1f405438
Community Member

Thanks Petra , I’m already working a lot on my profile to get my JSS back… as for the project, I seriously worked a lot that project and the client even left a good feedback…. I even made a lot of corrections as requested by him…. What do you think I should do as I don’t want to make a full refund (even if I’m going to make a refund)
My profile is more important to me..
petra_r
Community Member

As the client hasn't filed a dispute (yet) you may want to wait and see what they do next. But again, this contract outcome is one of many and a symptom of the real root problem: You're offering services in a lot of languages, claiming native or bilingual skills. This is, at best, incredibly "optimistic" in so many languages, and realistically simply not possible or true, which leads to such poor contract outcomes and may well eventually go so far as to sink your profile beyond repair, with no coming back from the abyss.

1f405438
Community Member

I’m going to wait for his decision. Thanks for the reply… also, I’m a multilinguist, I speak four foreign languages fluently (on a native level), I didn’t know know rendering services in the four languages would be a problem…. I’m just going to work more on my profile and focus on two languages then…

Thanks a lot for your concern Petra….. I would follow your advice and work more on my profile… I would focus on rendering services in two languages…
Thanks..
petra_r
Community Member

Ifemayowa O wrote:
 I speak four foreign languages fluently (on a native level),

With all due respect, that is unlikely if not impossible. You actually claim to be at native level in 5 languages (and that's without actually even mentioning your real native language) and have accepted contracts in others. Clients consistently mark you down for quality and your JSS is very, very low. The problem isn't that you are "offering services in 4 languages", the problem is that you are offering services you can't deliver to the standard your profile promises. 
I'd blame the clients to a degree because even just reading your profile shows that your English, for example, isn't at native level.

You will do a lot better if you underpromise and overdeliver instead of the other way around. On the path you are on you are not going to prosper.

Ifemayowa O wrote:
I didn’t know know rendering services in the four languages would be a problem…

It is a problem when you can't deliver what your profile claims you can.  

Petra R wrote:

Ifemayowa O wrote:
 I speak four foreign languages fluently (on a native level),

With all due respect, that is unlikely if not impossible. You actually claim to be at native level in 5 languages (and that's without actually even mentioning your real native language) and have accepted contracts in others. Clients consistently mark you down for quality and your JSS is very, very low. The problem isn't that you are "offering services in 4 languages", the problem is that you are offering services you can't deliver to the standard your profile promises. 
I'd blame the clients to a degree because even just reading your profile shows that your English, for example, isn't at native level.

You will do a lot better if you underpromise and overdeliver instead of the other way around. On the path you are on you are not going to prosper.

Ifemayowa O wrote:
I didn’t know know rendering services in the four languages would be a problem…

It is a problem when you can't deliver what your profile claims you can.  

That can be blamed in the others that left the mistakes when they copied parts of her profile.. But then again I cannot find an Impact University where they teach German. We can only hope she never translated the court documents mentioned in her profile.

lysis10
Community Member

Ifemayowa O wrote:
Thanks Petra , I’m already working a lot on my profile to get my JSS back… as for the project, I seriously worked a lot that project and the client even left a good feedback…. I even made a lot of corrections as requested by him…. What do you think I should do as I don’t want to make a full refund (even if I’m going to make a refund)
My profile is more important to me..

Are you outsourcing? I hope not since you charge close to nothing, but I see Dutch, Swedish, Russian, French and Portuguese translations. My guess is that you're outsourcing and since you already work for cheap, you are getting machine translations for whatever couple bucks you're giving internet strangers.

jr-translation
Community Member

Ifemayowa O wrote:
I did a work for a client , submitted it and made sure I did all necessary work. He came back asking me to do several corrections which I did , still he’s not satisfied… he’s asking for a refund on an ended contract and I don’t want to give a refund… what can I do?
I asked him if he would also like me to do anything on the work , he didn’t answer… please see to this…

Which contract are we talking about?

Ifemayoa, you may be able to SPEAK those languages fluently, but your written English is not fluent. Perhaps you are overestimating your written skills. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths