🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asked for my national ID
Page options
alison244
Community Member

Client asked for my national ID

Recently I have been invited to submit a proposal. The then client asked me to sign NDA and national ID. At first, I accepted as NDA's were normal to me. But then was concerned to why he also want me to send my national ID. I have asked him why I need to send my ID and he just replied with "spanish laws". I checked the history and he has been a member since 2016 with over $25k spent. Although his account seems to be "legit" I declined to send him my ID. He then threw a fit because I wasted his time. 

So am I right to refuse to send him my ID.....? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Alison L wrote:

Although his account seems to be "legit" I declined to send him my ID. He then threw a fit because I wasted his time. 

I have provided my ID to exactly 2 clients over the last 8+ years, both Enterprise clients with secure systems to handle such matters, and only because the contracts on offer were long-term and huge.

There are no "Spanish laws" that require clients to see ID and a client who rages at you for something like that would have been a poor client anyway, so this saved you a lot of headaches.

If a client tries that again, you can tell them that the blue tick on your profile means Upwork have already verified your ID documents and if they have any further questions they may contact Upwork for confirmation. Upwork will (of course) not pass on your ID docs either, just confirm you're verified.

You have EVERY right to refuse to send the ID.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Alison L wrote:

Although his account seems to be "legit" I declined to send him my ID. He then threw a fit because I wasted his time. 

I have provided my ID to exactly 2 clients over the last 8+ years, both Enterprise clients with secure systems to handle such matters, and only because the contracts on offer were long-term and huge.

There are no "Spanish laws" that require clients to see ID and a client who rages at you for something like that would have been a poor client anyway, so this saved you a lot of headaches.

If a client tries that again, you can tell them that the blue tick on your profile means Upwork have already verified your ID documents and if they have any further questions they may contact Upwork for confirmation. Upwork will (of course) not pass on your ID docs either, just confirm you're verified.

You have EVERY right to refuse to send the ID.

Hi Petra, thank you so much for your response.

I feel more at ease now 🙂 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths