🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asked for refund
Page options
aldreifatimamoya
Community Member

Client asked for refund

Hi, a client of mine paid me $150 dollars for a milestone. After sending the payment, he said he charged it on the wrong card and requested for a refund which I accepted immediately. I only then realized I lost $150 on my current balance in Upwork (which I got from a different client). My point is, when he paid me the $150, it was still pending/for review because I refunded right after the payment was sent then I got charged on my current balance. Will I get the 150$ I got from my other client back? Sorry I'm confused. Please enlighten me this is the first time I refunded a client. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Aldrei Fatima M wrote:
Hi, a client of mine paid me $150 dollars for a milestone. After sending the payment, he said he charged it on the wrong card and requested for a refund which I accepted immediately. 

Has the client since paid you with the correct card?

If yes, then all is well.

If not, the money is gone unless and until your client pays with the right card.

You might have wanted to ask the client to pay with the right card before agreeing to the refund.

He hasn’t paid yet but I trust that he will. So should he pay me 300$ now instead of $150? Sorry I’m still confused.
JoanneP

Hi Aldrei Fatima,

I checked and the refunded amount was from the correct contract. You can check It here. You may also check your transaction history. If you submitted a refund under the correct contract, it should issue a refund to the correct client. Please let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

If you submitted a refund under the correct contract, it should issue a refund to the correct client. 

It issues the amount *TO* the correct client, but *FROM* any available balance.

Example: I have an available balance of $200 which is a payment from client A

Client B asks for a refund of $100, which is a pending payment. I agree.

The refund will be taken from my available balance, not from the money client B paid.

<p>I know I refunded the right client. My problem is I refunded him with the money I got from a different client. I am now 300$ short, $150 from client A for the refund, and client B's supposed payment of $150.&nbsp;</p>

Hello Aldrei,

I see that the refund was requested by the client before they approved the payment on the last milestone. This means the refund approved by you was for the funds held in escrow for the last milestone and there was no charge added on your available balance. I see that you have already initiated a withdrawal for full payment received on other contracts. You can refer to the Transaction History page for more information. 

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members