cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client asked me to work outside Upwork and now my payment is pending for last 2 weeks.

tamannasonal
Sonal P Member Since: Aug 11, 2017
1 of 6

Hi All,

I am new to Upwork. When I received a job from a client I asked the payment mode. To which I was told that we can work on a contract and the payment will be weekly. However, after one week's work when I asked about the pending payment, the client literally gone AWOL from Skype and even the email address was showing adddress error. 

I now know that I should have not gone outside Upwork but I need suggestions if there is any way I can recover my 1 week's pay. It was not much but for me it was considerable. (Approx. $265)

Any advise will be helpful for future.

Thanks. 

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

No, there is no way for you to get your money. Lesson learned. You have to have a proper contract on Upwork and track your hours or have escrow funded.

Accepting to be paid outside of Upwork is a good way to get your account suspended.

View solution in original post

tamannasonal
3 of 6

I know. I have learned my lesson and I have been rejecting clients after that, who are asking to work outside Upwork. That was my first gig and I was not aware. I even asked the client for the payment contrtact to be done on the site but I think I gave in too soon.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I have now made a motto to work with proper Upwork contract.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

re: "I need suggestions if there is any way I can recover my 1 week's pay"

You can't get the money back.

But you could get suspended from Upwork for agreeing to accept payment outside of the platform. So it would be best to not pursue this.

tamannasonal
5 of 6

Thanks for the response. As I mentioned earlier, I would not do anything to get my account suspended but that was my first gig on Upwork and I gave in. I hope this one time mistake will not cost me my account. I have stoped accepting projects where clients are asking me to work outside upwork.

Thanks

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

Do not worry. Upwork is understanding about first-time newbies' mistakes. It is rare for action to be taken against someone so new as yourself due to this mistake.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS