🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for Bitcoin
Page options
abdullahshahid_
Community Member

Client asking for Bitcoin

I saw a verified job payment proposal that was asking to transfer bitcoin. I applied and googled instantly if it is against the ToS to send currency payments like these over jobs. So the client reached out to me and I am not sure if it is even legal on Upwork. Can you guide me before I accept any kind of contract offers?

Because sending crypto doesn't really classify as real work and he is insisting in hourly (of which I will have no proof) and he will simply close the project without payment and I won't be able to dispute anyways

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

It's a scam. The client will "pay" you as a bonus, you'll send the crypto, the bonus is reversed. Game over.

You are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to accept or make any payments outside Upwork. You're also not allowed to communicate with a client outside the platform before you're hired.

Why do you think anyone would pay literally crazy money to buy bitcoin via Upwork rather than any of the many cheap and easy normal ways to buy it? (In case you can't think of the answer: They wouldn't!)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

It's a scam. The client will "pay" you as a bonus, you'll send the crypto, the bonus is reversed. Game over.

You are ABSOLUTELY not allowed to accept or make any payments outside Upwork. You're also not allowed to communicate with a client outside the platform before you're hired.

Why do you think anyone would pay literally crazy money to buy bitcoin via Upwork rather than any of the many cheap and easy normal ways to buy it? (In case you can't think of the answer: They wouldn't!)

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I applied and googled instantly if it is against the ToS to send currency payments like these over jobs

You are correct. Do you have any other questions?

(Hint: you have a choice now - getting scammed or not.)

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Abdullah, 

Please keep in mind that offering or accepting payments outside of Upwork is a violation of our TOS. Check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs. You can also report any suspicious activity by following the steps listed in this guide. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
abdullahshahid_
Community Member

No. the client was saying that he will pay me on Upwork if I sent him bitcoin and he also had a verified payment method. He was asking for an hourly contract (but then I realized that he can simply not take my manual hours and close the contract) because I couldn't screen record sending my cryptocurrency anyways and it was't a real job. He closed his account 10 minutes after the discussion. 

Abdullah S wrote:

No. the client was saying that he will pay me on Upwork if I sent him bitcoin and he also had a verified payment method.

Sending Bitcoin is a financial transaction outside Upwork. It is forbidden

The client would never have paid you, it's a very common scam.

Abdullah:

You were a wise person to Google this and avoid losing money.

Upwork is wise to prohibit this sort of thing.

It does not really matter to me if this is a violation of TOS, because I already know it is a scam and I already know that the client won't pay anything and I will lose a lot of money if I get involved. If Upwork decided to say that it is allowed, you still can't do it because you don't want to be scammed.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members